Metal Pole Falls Homework: Find Speed of Upper End

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal Pole
In summary, the linear speed of the upper end of a uniform metal pole just before it hits the ground is ##FL=τ(0,T)##.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A uniform metal pole of height ##30.0m## and a mass ##100kg## is initially standing upright but then falls over one side without its lower end sliding or losing contact with the ground.What is the linear speed of the pole's upper end just before impact ?

Homework Equations

##τ=Frsinθ##
##τ=I∝##

The Attempt at a Solution

Pole.png

I think there must be some ##F## force that the pole will start to fall.And there's also ##F'## force between pole and ground.
so total torque of the object will be (##I## take the touching point between pole and ground rotation axis).
So If total length is ##L## then I can write for this instance ##(t=0)##
##FL=τ(t=0)##
In between hitting the ground (lets call that time ##T##).The torque will be
##FL+mgsinθ\frac L 2=τ(0,T)##, but here sinθ will change every moment.
And in the impact it will be ##FL+mg\frac L 2=τ(T)##
then from here I tried to take a some time interval like when ##sinθ=\frac {\sqrt 2} {2}## and substract these values so that ##Fr## will cancel out but I don't know I stucked.
Then I thought I can just use the center of mass of pole's motion.It will make a parabola.And If I can calculate its speed when hits the ground I can easily calculate the end poing of pole.
Here I used normal projectile motion equations to find speed.but came out wrong.Maybe I am forgetting the centripetal force.Or Writing some equation wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
It will make a parabola
As a function of what ? Why ?

Cause its the center of mass and the acceleration in that point will be g.A function of time ?

Arman777 said:

Homework Equations

Any conservation laws that might be relevant?

haruspex said:
Any conservation laws that might be relevant?

Yeah I can apply that maybe or I apllied ##mgL=\frac 1 2mv^2## but I get wrong result

Arman777 said:
Yeah I can apply that maybe or I apllied ##mgL=\frac 1 2mv^2## but I get wrong result
That's because in writing the above equation, you are assuming that the entire mass of the rod is concentrated at the tip of the rod at distance L from the pivot. Is it?

Likes CWatters
kuruman said:
That's because in writing the above equation, you are assuming that the entire mass of the rod is concentrated at the tip of the rod at distance L from the pivot. Is it?

yeah that's not true..then I find the energy change of the center of mass.which its ##mg\frac L 2=\frac 1 2mv^2##
from that the velocity of the top end should be ##2v## ,which is not correct answer

You cannot assume that the entire mass is concentrated at the center of mass either. The rod is not in free fall. It is rotating about its end. You need to consider the rotational kinetic energy of the rod just before it hits the ground. It is not ##\frac{1}{2}mv_{cm}^2##. What is it?

kuruman said:
You cannot assume that the entire mass is concentrated at the center of mass either.

It says uniform but ok

##E=\frac 1 2Iω^2## and ##I=\frac 1 6mL^2##

The moment of inertia of a uniform rod about its end is ##I = \frac{1}{3}mL^2##, otherwise it's OK. Now conserve mechanical energy remembering that the change in potential energy of the CM is what's relevant.

Likes Arman777
kuruman said:
The moment of inertia of a uniform rod about its end is I=13mL2

how can we calcualte it?

Calculate what?

kuruman said:
Calculate what?
Moment of inertia

I just gave you the correct formula for it. Doesn't the statement of the problem give you the numbers that go in it?

kuruman said:
I just gave you the correct formula for it. Doesn't the statement of the problem give you the numbers that go in it?

I am asking the formula the equation..

OK I found it never mind

Ok I solved thanks a lot

1. What is the purpose of finding the speed of the upper end of a metal pole that falls?

The purpose of finding the speed of the upper end of a metal pole that falls is to determine the velocity of the pole at the moment it hits the ground. This information can be used to understand the impact force of the pole and the potential damage it could cause.

2. How is the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole calculated?

The speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the pole falls.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole?

The speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole can be affected by several factors, including the height from which it falls, the mass and shape of the pole, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the pole during its fall.

4. Why is it important to use the correct units when calculating the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole?

Using the correct units when calculating the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole is important because it ensures that the final result is in a standard unit of measurement (usually meters per second). This allows for easier comparison and analysis of the data.

5. Can the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole be determined experimentally?

Yes, the speed of the upper end of a falling metal pole can be determined experimentally by using a video camera to record the fall and then analyzing the footage to measure the time it takes for the pole to fall and the length of the fall. These measurements can then be used to calculate the speed using the formula v = √(2gh).