Atomic Mass of Element X: Solving with John Dalton Ratios

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a new element, X, which is made up of two isotopes, X-23 and X-25. The question at hand is how to calculate the atomic mass of element X, and the conversation mentions using a weighted average of the masses of the isotopes. However, there is confusion on how to apply this concept without enough information provided. The conversation also mentions the use of ratios and the possibility of additional information on the abundances of the isotopes. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the understanding that the question is asking for the total mass and not the weighted average, and the solution may simply involve plugging in numbers into an equation.
dshipp17
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
I believe that this question may be solved by the John Dalton ratios, but, I'm confused: While traveling to a distant universe, you discover the hypothetical element “X.”You obtain a representative sample of the element and discover that it is made up of two isotopes,X-23 and X-25. To help your science team calculate the atomic mass of the substance, you send the following drawing of your sample with your report. In the report, you also inform the science team that the gold atoms are X-23, which have an isotopic mass of 23.02 amu, and the green atoms are X-25,which have an isotopic mass of 25.147 amu. What is the atomic mass of element X?

Would you help me solve this problem? Is there an equation that I can use? I tried the finding x thing, by saying one isotope is x and the other isotope is 1-x, but, there isn't enough information or seemingly too many unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not enough information to answer the problem in the text, but perhaps there is an additional information on the respective abundances of both isotopes on the drawing?

Borek said:
Not enough information to answer the problem in the text, but perhaps there is an additional information on the respective abundances of both isotopes on the drawing?

Seemingly, the drawing does not offer much more information, but, I'll describe the drawing for you; X-23 is represented by gold balls and there are 5 of these gold balls; X-25 is represented by green balls and are 15 of these green balls; textbook is by Darrell, Ninth Edition

5:15, sounds like a ratio.

Borek said:
5:15, sounds like a ratio.

Yes, but, I'm still stuck; how do I begin?

Atomic mass is a weighted average of the masses of isotopes.

Borek said:
Atomic mass is a weighted average of the masses of isotopes.

That's true, but, I'm still stuck; the weighted average only helps you determine the atomic mass; can you be more specific with say, an equation might use?

dshipp17 said:
the weighted average only helps you determine the atomic mass;

And that's what you are asked to do, aren't you?

What is the weighted average, how is it applied?

Borek said:
And that's what you are asked to do, aren't you?

What is the weighted average, how is it applied?

To get the weighted average, you'd need to know the total mass or the mass in the isotopes most abundant state; however, the question is actually asking for the total mass, so, it doesn't appear as if enough information has been provided.

No, weighted average doesn't require you to know masses. In other words - "weight" in this context is not necessarily related to the mass, rather to relative amounts of something.

Or, to put it even differently: you have 5 atoms of one type and 15 atoms of other type. What is the average mass of an atom?

(And yes, when you get the result, it will be the weighted average.)

What specifically about weighted average? Right now, there isn't enough information to do a weighted average; weighted average is usually associated with finding atomic masses; however, this question is before or after that, depending on Dalton's formulations.

Oh, actually, I got it now; as I said in my intro, I took a chemistry class nearly 20 years ago, not just last semester, as with most of the cases on this website; I'm just trying to get refreshed and get through these textbooks in consideration for prep for graduate school and the subject matter GRE; this question is related to that standard deviation stuff that you normally start in analytical chemistry or quantitative analysis; but, can't complain, as this is the level that I need, as I'm reviewing instead of taking a general college level chemistry course for the first time; I had to research how to get a weighted average again. But, I still have to actually get the answer right. Although I'm in this section, I'm not actually completing assigned homework; I'm doing this stuff on my own to see if I want to proceed to graduate school; hence, you wouldn't be giving me the answer to homework problems by being a lot less vague.

Perhaps I am missing something, but the question asks you to calculate atomic mass, you say that weighted average is used for calculation of atomic masses - sounds like a simple plug and chug, I don't see where is the problem. I feel like you are trying to make it more complicated than it really is.

And not giving answers, but helping you to solve the problem on your own is how the forum works, it is in the rules.

1. What is the atomic mass of element X and how is it determined?

The atomic mass of element X is the average mass of all the naturally occurring isotopes of element X. It is determined by taking the weighted average of the masses of each isotope, with its relative abundance taken into account. This information can be found on the periodic table.

2. What is John Dalton's ratio and how is it used to solve for atomic mass?

John Dalton's ratio is a method used to determine the atomic mass of an element. It involves comparing the masses of two different elements that combine to form a compound. By knowing the ratio of the masses of the elements, and the atomic mass of one of the elements, the atomic mass of the other element can be calculated using simple algebraic equations.

3. Can the atomic mass of an element vary?

Yes, the atomic mass of an element can vary. This is due to the presence of different isotopes of the element, which have different numbers of neutrons and therefore different masses. However, the atomic mass listed on the periodic table is an average of all the naturally occurring isotopes of that element.

4. How does knowing the atomic mass of an element help in chemistry?

Knowing the atomic mass of an element is crucial in chemistry, as it is used to determine the amount of a substance needed for a reaction. It is also used in stoichiometric calculations, which involve determining the ratios of elements in a compound.

5. How is the atomic mass of element X affected by nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions, such as fission or fusion, can change the number of protons and neutrons in an atom, thereby changing its atomic mass. This can create new isotopes of the element with different atomic masses. However, the atomic mass listed on the periodic table will remain the same unless there is a significant change in the overall abundance of the isotopes present.