Orbital speed of satellite orbiting Jupiter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
agadag
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Please help asap! Orbital speed

Homework Statement




A satellite is placed in orbit 5.19x105m above the surface of Jupiter. Jupiter has a mass of 1.90x1027kg and a radius of 7.14x107m. Find the orbital speed of the satellite.
Answer = m/s


Homework Equations



v = sqrt [GM/r]
= (5.19 * 10^5)(1.90*10^27)/ (7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5) = 3.703 *10^12 is wrong!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


ahhh i still didn't get the right answer..? maybe I am just doing my arithmatic wrong. but why would gravity = 6.67?
 


G in the equation is the universal gravitational constant which has the value given by Delphi.For some reason you seem to have used the height of the orbit instead of G.
 


well i assumed since we don't know the gravity of that planet the length of the orbit would be equal to the G. However, I am still not able to get the right answer using either method...
 


I should say the length of the distance from the satellite to the planet... not the length of orbit...
 


G is the universal gravitational constant,it applies to all planets,all masses,everything,it is completely different to distance.My best advice is to look at the theory behind this otherwise you are just fiddling around. To get the right answer you just need to plug the right numbers in your calculator.In your original attempt you had the wrong value for G so try again.
 


yea i tried it again. still no success. I think i give up now.
 


agadag said:
yea i tried it again. still no success. I think i give up now.

Did you calculate the right value for r?
7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5=7.19*10^7(approximately)
Did you take the square root at the end?