Calculating pH of Na3PO4 and NaH2PO4 Solution with Ka Values for H2CO3

  • Thread starter Thread starter atavistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
atavistic
Messages
105
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]50ml[/tex] of [tex]0.10M Na_3PO_4 + 50ml[/tex] of [tex]0.10M NaH_2PO_4[/tex]

For [tex]H_2CO_3[/tex]:
[tex]Ka_1 = 7.5 * 10^{ - 3}[/tex]
[tex]Ka_2 = 6.2 * 10^{ - 8}[/tex]
[tex]Ka_3 = 1.0 * 10^{ - 12}[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Since [tex]K_h[/tex] of [tex]Na_3PO_4 > > Ka_2[/tex] , I considered only hydrolysis of [tex]Na_3PO_4[/tex] but it gives wrong answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base - does it ring a bell?
 
Actually, there are so many equilibria in this solution I can't figure out what will contribute and the assumption I made(given above) seems to give a wrong answer.
 
Actually my previous comment was not too good :frown:

Think this way: you have mixed equimolar amounts of Na3PO4 and NaH2PO4. Does it differ from just dissolving Na2HPO4?