Calculate [OH-] in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L for pH 6 - Homework Solution"

• Thread starter mimi.janson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the concentration of [OH-] in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L for pH 6. The equation used is 10pH-14, but it is not clear what this formula is for. There is also confusion on the units of measurement, as molar typically refers to concentration in moles/L. It is important to understand what micromoles and nanomoles are and if it is possible for a solution to have the same concentration expressed in both units.
mimi.janson

Homework Statement

Hi i need to just check if i have understood this.
The problem statement is that i need to find out what [OH-] is in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L for pH 6

Homework Equations

The equation I am using is that 10pH-14

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was using the pH i was given and putting it in the equation. So i got that 106-14 = 10-8 micromolar/L and 10-8 nanomolar/L

But i am a bit unsure because the way it is questioned is a bit tricky, since i don't think they would let people get away with just changing the writing "micromolar/nanomolar"

So if anyone would please check it out and just tell me if what i did was right or wrong and what is wrong in that case i would be happy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where to start...

What does it mean "micromole"? "Nanomole"?

"Molar" typically means concentration measured in mole/L. We don't say molar/L, as the "/L" part is understood to be already there.

Ok i meant mmole and nmole. However did i understand it right, the way to solve it?

Hard to say. The way you wrote it may suggest you have no idea what you are doing, which is why I tried to start at the very beginning.

What is "micromole", what is "nanomole"? Is it possible for a solution to have the same concentration expressed in micromoles/L and nanomoles/L? That's what you wrote in the opening post.

mimi.janson said:
The equation I am using is that 10pH-14

That's not an equation.

If you stated what exactly it is a formula for you might avoid the mistakes you have made.

Related to Calculate [OH-] in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L for pH 6 - Homework Solution"

1. What is the formula for calculating [OH-] in micromolar/L?

The formula for calculating [OH-] in micromolar/L is [OH-] = 10-pH * 10-6, where pH is the given pH value.

2. How do you convert micromolar/L to nanomolar/L?

To convert micromolar/L to nanomolar/L, you can simply multiply the micromolar value by 1000.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating [OH-] in micromolar/L for pH 6?

For pH 6, the calculation would be [OH-] = 10-6 * 10-6 = 1 * 10-12 micromolar/L.

4. How do you calculate [OH-] in nanomolar/L for a given pH?

The formula for calculating [OH-] in nanomolar/L is [OH-] = 10-pH * 10-9.

5. What is the significance of calculating [OH-] in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L?

Calculating [OH-] in micromolar/L and nanomolar/L allows us to determine the concentration of hydroxide ions in a solution, which is important in various chemical reactions and processes.