Calculating Potential from Field

In summary, the problem asks to find the electric potential at a radial distance of 1.45cm from a nonconducting sphere with a radius of 2.31cm and a uniformly distributed charge of +3.50 fC. The electric potential is taken to be zero at infinity. To solve this, the integral of the electric field, which is given by E = kQr/R^3, must be taken from 0 to 1.45cm. This is because the electric field is not constant inside the sphere. The correct answer can be obtained by expressing q in terms of R, r, and Q and integrating from 0 to 2.31cm.
Ron Burgundy

Homework Statement

A nonconducting sphere has radius R=2.31 cm and uniformly distributed charge q=+3.50 fC. Take the electric potential at the sphere's center to be V0=0. What is V at radial distance r = 1.45cm?

Homework Equations

E= [tex]\frac{kqr}{R^3}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-[tex]\int[/tex]E*ds

The Attempt at a Solution

E = [tex]\frac{k(3.5*10-15C)(.0145m)}{(.0231m)^3}[/tex]
E = 3.70*10-2 V/m

[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-[tex]\int[/tex]3.70*10-2 V/m * ds
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=-3.70*10-2 V/m * .0145 m

[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = -5.365*10-4

That's not right according to the book. I keep getting double the right answer when I do problems with electric potential and I can't figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks you to find V not ΔV. Don't forget that the electric potential is zero at infinity. To do it right you must take the integral from infinity to 1.45 cm which means that you need to do two integrals because the electric field changes at r = 2.31 cm.

kuruman said:
The problem asks you to find V not ΔV. Don't forget that the electric potential is zero at infinity. To do it right you must take the integral from infinity to 1.45 cm which means that you need to do two integrals because the electric field changes at r = 2.31 cm.
That doesn't really make sense to me. Are you saying I should take the integral from infinity to .0231 m using [tex]\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex] for the electric field and then add the integral from .0231 m to .0145 m using [tex]\frac{kqr}{R^3}[/tex]? That doesn't produce the right answer. However, using the integral from 0 to .0145 m of [tex]\frac{kqr}{R^3}[/tex] works. The problem is that I'm still not really understanding why it works.

Ron Burgundy said:
That doesn't really make sense to me. Are you saying I should take the integral from infinity to .0231 m using [tex]\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex] for the electric field and then add the integral from .0231 m to .0145 m using [tex]\frac{kqr}{R^3}[/tex]?

No, I think kuruman misread the question. The question does ask for delta-V, not for V.

That doesn't produce the right answer. However, using the integral from 0 to .0145 m of [tex]\frac{kqr}{R^3}[/tex] works. The problem is that I'm still not really understanding why it works.

Electric field is kq/r^2, but q is not constant; the larger r is, the larger q is. Try expressing q in terms of R, r, and Q.

ideasrule said:
No, I think kuruman misread the question. The question does ask for delta-V, not for V.
Sorry, I misread the question. I agree with ideasrule. The electric field inside the sphere is not constant. If E = kQr/R3 inside, then that is the expression that you must put in the integral and integrate from zero to 2.31.

1. How do you calculate potential from a given electric field?

The potential at a point in an electric field is equal to the work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point, divided by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as V = W/q, where V is the potential, W is the work, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

2. What is the unit of potential in the SI system?

The unit of potential in the SI system is joules per coulomb (J/C) or volts (V). This represents the amount of work (in joules) required to move a unit charge (in coulombs) from one point to another.

3. Can the potential at a point in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the potential at a point in an electric field can be negative. This indicates that work must be done to move a positive charge from infinity to that point, meaning the electric field is acting in the opposite direction of the movement of the charge.

4. How does the potential vary with distance from a point charge?

The potential at a point in an electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance from the charge increases, the potential decreases.

5. Can potential exist without an electric field?

No, potential cannot exist without an electric field. The two concepts are closely related and cannot be separated. An electric field is required to create a potential, and the potential is the measure of the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point.