Potential difference between two points in an electric field

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the potential difference between two points in a uniform electric field. One person argues that it is -20V while the other says it is -10√2V. The disagreement arises from using different values for the distance between the points, with one person using 1m and the other using √2m. The correct value is -20V, which can be found using the formula ΔV = -EΔr.
NoahCygnus
Homework Statement
In the problem, I have to calculate the potential difference between C and A as in the uniform electric field of magnitude 20 V/m given in the figure.
Relevant Equations
##\Delta V = -\vec{E}\cdot\Delta\vec{r}##
So I have been given a uniform electric field ##\vec{E}=20 V/m## in the direction as show in the image. I have been told to calculate the potential difference ##VC - VA##. According to the teacher (on YouTube) the potential difference ##VC - VA = -10\sqrt{2}V##. But I say it's ##-20 V## as electric field is conservative and I can find potential difference as work done in moving a unit charge from ##A## to ##D## then to ##C##. Potential difference between ##D##and ##A## should be a big zero as we are moving perpendicular to the field and potential difference between ##C## and ##D## is ##-20V## so the overall potential difference between ##C## and ##A## should be ##-20V## and not ##-10\sqrt{2}##.

They used ##\Delta V = -\vec{E}\cdot\Delta\vec{r}##, and put in the values ##\Delta V = -(20)(1)cos(45)=-10\sqrt{2}##

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
Their problem is that the length of the diagonal is not 1 m, it is ##\sqrt 2## m.

Edit: You should probably also link to the relevant video if it is on YouTube.

1. What is potential difference in an electric field?

The potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that is moved between the two points. Mathematically, it is represented as V = ΔPE/q, where V is the potential difference, ΔPE is the change in electric potential energy, and q is the amount of charge.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volt (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C). It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

4. How does potential difference affect the movement of charges?

Potential difference is responsible for the movement of charges in an electric field. Charges will move from areas of higher potential to areas of lower potential, as they seek to reach a state of equilibrium. The greater the potential difference, the greater the force on the charges and the faster they will move.

5. What factors affect the potential difference between two points in an electric field?

The potential difference between two points in an electric field is affected by the amount of charge, the distance between the two points, and the strength of the electric field. The potential difference will increase with an increase in charge or decrease in distance, and it will decrease with a decrease in charge or increase in distance.