Calculating Power and Energy Consumption of Two Coffee-Makers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Humbleness
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Humbleness
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Two 15Ω coffee-makers are connected to a 120V power supply for two hours a day each. Find the power and energy.

Homework Equations


P=V2/R
ΔE=PΔt

The Attempt at a Solution


I am assuming, since there are two coffee-makers connected to one 120V power supply, that:
P = V2/R = 1202V/30Ω = 480W or 0.48kW

ΔE = PΔt = 0.48 kW x 2h = 0.96 kWh

Can someone confirm?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the coffee makers somehow connected in series? If they are standard appliances, won't they each have to run on 120 V?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Humbleness
gneill said:
Are the coffee makers somehow connected in series? If they are standard appliances, won't they each have to run on 120 V?
Hmm makes sense. Therefore,
P = V2 / R = 1202 / 15 = 960 W or 0.96 kW
Then I would multiply this by 2, since there are two coffee-makers?
0.96 x 2 = 1.92 kW

ΔE = PΔt = 1.92 kW x 2h = 3.84 kWh
 
I am confused over the 2 hours each though...
Would that mean that one coffee-maker runs on 120 V for 2 hours, as well as the second?
So my total time should actually be 4h?
ΔE = PΔt = 1.92 kW x 4h = 7.68 kWh
 
One coffee maker running for four hours consumes as much power as two coffee makers running for 2 hours.

On edit: Oops, I made a mistake. I meant to say that one coffee maker running for four hours consumes as much energy (not power) as two coffee makers running for 2 hours. :oops:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Humbleness