Calculating Pressure and Temperature in a Container of Argon Gas

  • Thread starter Thread starter gsharples12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
gsharples12
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
The number density in a container of argon gas is 1.50×10e25 . The atoms are moving with an rms speed of 465 . What are (a) the pressure and (b) the temperature inside the container?

Vrms=(3KbT/m)^1/2

Na = 6.02X10^23 particles/mol

Ar=40u

p=F/A=(1/3)(N/V)mv^2

pV=NKbT


I started off with finding out how many moles there were in the container by taking 1.5e25 and dividing that by 6.02e23 and got 24.9 moles. I looked up Molar mass for Ar and got 40g per mol. The mass of the Ar is .9968 kg.

Then I am plugging what I found for m into the first equation to solve for T but the number for T doesn't look right. Am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So I figured out that 1 atom of Ar = 6.627E-26 and pluged it into p=(1/3)(N/V)mv^2
and got the correct answer for Pressure.