Total Internal Energy of an Ideal Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
daleklama
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Argon is stored in a container of volume 2L and a pressure of 5 atmospheres. The amount of gas present is 0.2 moles. Find:

(i) The absolute temperature of the gas
(ii) The number of atoms of gas in the container
(iii) The total mass of the gas
(iv) The total internal energy of the gas.

You may assume argon behaves as an ideal gas, the atomic mass of argon is 40 g/mol.

Homework Equations



PV = nRT
dU = Uf – Ui = Q – W (First Law of Thermodynamics)

The Attempt at a Solution



(i) I used PV = nRT, made all the relevant conversions and got 364.4 K. Think it's right.
(ii) I multiplied 0.2 (number of moles) by Avegadro's constant (6.02x10^23) and got 1.204x10^23 atoms. Think it's right.
(iii) I'm not sure if this is right... To find the total mass of the gas, knowing that the atomic mass is 40g/mol, I just multiplied 40 by 0.2 and got 8g?
(iv) I haven't a clue. :( The only equation I can find for total internal energy is the First Law of Thermodynamics above, but as far as I know, I don't have any of those things or know how to find them.


Thanks very much for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
daleklama said:
(i) I used PV = nRT, made all the relevant conversions and got 364.4 K. Think it's right.
I get a different number. P = 5 x 101,325 Pa; V = .002 m^3; n = .2 mol; R = 8.314 J/K mol
(ii) I multiplied 0.2 (number of moles) by Avegadro's constant (6.02x10^23) and got 1.204x10^23 atoms. Think it's right.
Ok.
(iii) I'm not sure if this is right... To find the total mass of the gas, knowing that the atomic mass is 40g/mol, I just multiplied 40 by 0.2 and got 8g?
Right. This is correct because Argon is a noble gas so it is a monatomic gas.
(iv) I haven't a clue. :( The only equation I can find for total internal energy is the First Law of Thermodynamics above, but as far as I know, I don't have any of those things or know how to find them.
Use U = nCvT

AM
 
Aw, brilliant, I think I have it, thanks!

(apologies about the temperature calculation, the question is actually 3 atmospheres and that's what I used, I accidentally typed 5 on here, sorry!)

U = n Cv T

where n = 0.2
T = 364.4 K
and Cv = 3/2 R = 12.47

when I put them all into the equation I get 911 J.

Thanks a million for your help, very much appreciated :)