Calculating Probability of Reaction Time Using Normal Distribution

• Thread starter billbennett770
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notes
In summary, the conversation discusses using a normal distribution to model reaction time to brake a signal from standard brake lights. The mean is 1.25 seconds and the standard deviation is 0.46 seconds. The probability of the reaction time being between 1 and 1.75 seconds is calculated using the formula P(a-μ)/σ ≤ z ≤ (b-μ)/σ, where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the integration. This calculation is done using a z-test or by using properties of the normal distribution and known values from a table.
billbennett770

Homework Statement

It has been suggested that reaction time to brake a signal from standard brake ligths can be modeled with a normal distribution having a mean of 1.25 seconds and a standard deviation of .46 seconds. What is the probability that the reaction time is between 1. and 1.75. Use your calculator to find the probability.

Homework Equations

P(a-μ)/σ ≤ z ≤ (b-μ)/σ

The Attempt at a Solution

(1-1.25)/.46 ≤ z ≤ (1.75-1.25)/.46

-.5434782609 ≤ z ≤ 1.086956533

I did this part because my notes from my teacher do not tell me how to do this on the calculator. however, I tried in the Z-test section, with my input section on stats. I know where to plug the μ and the σ, but not the 1 and 1.75. x (with a line above it), and a n.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 1 and the 1.75 are the limits of the integration - do you know the equation for a Normal distribution?

You can also work it out using the properties of the normal distribution - and known values for the unit normal - do you have access to tables? Your calculator may have such a table built in - but I don't know what kind you have.

1. Why are my notes not clear?

There could be several reasons why your notes are not clear. It could be due to the quality of your writing, the organization of your notes, or the complexity of the material. It is important to identify the specific reason and try to improve upon it.

2. How can I make my notes clearer?

To make your notes clearer, try using different note-taking strategies such as summarizing, using bullet points, or creating diagrams. It is also helpful to review and revise your notes regularly to ensure they are accurate and understandable.

3. What should I do if I can't read my own handwriting in my notes?

If you are having trouble reading your own handwriting in your notes, try rewriting them in a neater and more legible manner. You can also consider typing your notes or using a note-taking app that can convert handwritten notes into digital text.

4. How can I improve my note-taking skills?

You can improve your note-taking skills by actively listening and engaging in the lecture or reading material, staying organized, and using effective note-taking techniques. It is also helpful to review and summarize your notes after each class or study session.

5. Is it better to take notes by hand or using a computer?

The best method for taking notes depends on the individual and the situation. Some people may find it more effective to take notes by hand, while others may prefer using a computer or tablet. It is important to experiment and find the method that works best for you.