1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating 'Push' Force to Maintain Constant Speed

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting rail in contact with conducting wires, oriented perpendicular to both wires, is pushed with constant speed, causing an induced current of 0.69 A. B = 0.50 T and R (Resistor) = 2.0

Calculate the "push" force necessary to maintain the rail's constant speed.

2. Relevant equations

I assume I use F = q * v * b

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think I am using the correct equation here because there is no charge on the conducting rail. I am thinking I need to use an equation that I am not yet familiar with. I went to the chapter in my book over induction and I can't find any equations dealing with a 'push' force.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    Ohhh! Duhh. Lol. Thanks so much! That helped.

So, F = (0.69A)(0.34m)(.50T) = .117 N

And this would be considered the "push" force? Or would it be negative since the force is acting in the opposite direction?

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume they just want the magnitude of the force.

The induced current leads to a magnetic force on the wire. If you don't push the wire with a force opposite to the magnetic force to cancel it out, the wire will slow down due to the magnetic force. (This is the point of Lenz's law: The induced current is not "free"--you must push on the wire to maintain it.)

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    Thank you! That makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?