Calculating real world Liquid gas values

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the price of liquid gas of 1 TCF. It is mentioned that 1 TCF is equivalent to 1 trillion cubic feet and that the prefixes C, M, and MM refer to hundred, thousand, and million respectively. The formula for converting from one volume unit to the next larger unit is also provided. The confusion regarding "naughts" or "zeros" is clarified and it is mentioned that in the US, a trillion is equivalent to a million million. The conversation also touches on the use of non-SI units and conversion factors.
Renren
Hello,

I am trying to calculate the price of Liquid Gas of 1 TCF - My researce revealed to me that:

1 - I know that 100 cubic feet (Ccf) of natural gas equals 103,700 Btu or 1.037 therms
2 - I know that price per MMBtu multiplied by 1.037 equals price per Mcf
3 - The price of one MMBtu is about 2.77 USD
4 - One BTU is equivalent to1.06 Joules

I'm very confused about how many "Naughts" are in MMBTu's or other shot forms as I have read in different websites holding different values? Like The net states that 1MCF is = 1000CF but is M a million? Or a M as in Mega or roman numerals.

How much in USD is 1 TCF and how do i calculate it?
How much MegaJoules are in that much TCF as well how much would it cost in a form of MegaJoules.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
panpan said:
Hello,

I am trying to calculate the price of Liquid Gas of 1 TCF - My researce revealed to me that:

1 - I know that 100 cubic feet (Ccf) of natural gas equals 103,700 Btu or 1.037 therms
2 - I know that price per MMBtu multiplied by 1.037 equals price per Mcf
3 - The price of one MMBtu is about 2.77 USD
4 - One BTU is equivalent to1.06 Joules

I'm very confused about how many "Naughts" are in MMBTu's or other shot forms as I have read in different websites holding different values? Like The net states that 1MCF is = 1000CF but is M a million? Or a M as in Mega or roman numerals.

How much in USD is 1 TCF and how do i calculate it?
How much MegaJoules are in that much TCF as well how much would it cost in a form of MegaJoules.

I had to look up what TCF is, but I think the prefixes refer to Latin numerals:

C = "cent" = hundred
M = "mille" = thousand
MM = "mille mille" = million

and TCF is 1 trillion cubic feet of gas. I don't know what "naughts" means in this context, but maybe the above can remove some of the confusion?

For example, based on what you provided,

price of 1 TCF = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * price of 1 MCF = 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * (1.037 * price of 1 MMBtu)

and now you can use item 3. in your post.

Note, however, that for real large volume "business" calculations you may have to be more careful, as the may not always increase directly proportionately to the quantity: When you purchase a lot, you may start to get a discount.

I see..

When I say "Naughts" I was meaning to say "zeros".

Does that make sense now?

Could you explain it algebraically or in a deeper context. Ignoring discounts and such.

panpan said:
I see..

When I say "Naughts" I was meaning to say "zeros".

Does that make sense now?

Ah ok, yes, I see.

panpan said:
Could you explain it algebraically or in a deeper context. Ignoring discounts and such.

The algebraic explanation is largely in the example formula I gave: To go from one volume unit to the next larger volume unit, you multiply by 1000 or multiples of 1000. It appears that customary large-volume units are the MCF, MMCF, BCF and TCF. The formula arises because

1 trillion = 1000 * 1 billion
1 billion = 1000 * 1 million
1 million = 1000 * 1 thousand

Hrmm this is getting difficult XD

Wouldn't 1TCF just be 1,000,000,000,000 Cubic Feet?

Last edited:
panpan said:
Hrmm this is getting difficult XD

Wouldn't 1TCF just be 1,000,000,000,000 Cubic Feet?

My mistake. I've deleted my post.
You're quite right. A trillion (on the so called short scale) is indeed 1,000,000,000,000.

Another complication: in the United States, a "trillion" is a "million million" so 1,000,000,000,000 (12 zeros). Since you say "naughts" for "zeros" you may be in England where a "trillion is a "million million million", 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (18 zeros).

Country Boy said:
Another complication: in the United States, a "trillion" is a "million million" so 1,000,000,000,000 (12 zeros).

Wow, I thought only Indonesians do that.

Country Boy said:
Another complication: in the United States, a "trillion" is a "million million" so 1,000,000,000,000 (12 zeros). Since you say "naughts" for "zeros" you may be in England where a "trillion is a "million million million", 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (18 zeros).
I never knew that. Thanks, I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket.

First driving on the wrong side of the road and now this...

-Dan

topsquark said:
I never knew that. Thanks, I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket.

First driving on the wrong side of the road and now this...

-Dan

Erm.. you are from the US aren't you?
Isn't that where they have non-SI short trillions and such?
And where this whole mess is of 'real world liquid values' with cubic feet and milles-instead-of-millions?
Btw, this is not part of my 'real world', where we don't have such weird conversion factors. We just have SI.
(For the record, I'm still confused that kilogram is an SI-unit even though it includes a multiplication prefix.)

1. How do you calculate the real-world value of a liquid gas?

The real-world value of a liquid gas is calculated by multiplying the volume of the gas by its density at a given temperature and pressure. This will give you the mass of the gas, which can then be converted into a monetary value based on current market prices.

2. What factors affect the calculation of real-world liquid gas values?

The calculation of real-world liquid gas values can be affected by several factors, including the type of gas, the volume of gas, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the current market prices. Additionally, transportation and storage costs may also impact the final value.

3. How do you determine the density of a liquid gas?

The density of a liquid gas can be determined by dividing its mass by its volume at a specific temperature and pressure. This information can usually be found in gas tables or can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the gas's molar mass, temperature, and pressure.

4. Why is it important to calculate real-world liquid gas values?

Calculating real-world liquid gas values is important for several reasons. It allows companies to accurately price and trade gases, helps with financial planning and budgeting, and ensures fair compensation for gas producers. It also provides vital information for decision-making in the energy industry.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating real-world liquid gas values?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating real-world liquid gas values. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the data used, such as gas volume and density. Additionally, market prices are subject to change, so the calculated value may not reflect the actual price at the time of trade. Other factors, such as transportation costs and taxes, may also affect the final value.