Calculating Temperature Change in Real Gas Isolated Chamber with Changed Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a real gas in an isolated chamber with a potential between molecules described by a given equation. The second virial coefficient is calculated and the temperature change is determined when the volume of the chamber is suddenly changed. The equation of state is used to calculate the temperature directly.
brkomir

Homework Statement

We have a real gas in an isolated chamber. The potential between the molecules is described as ##\phi (r)=\phi _0e^{-(\frac{r}{\sigma})^{2}}##, where ##\phi _0=5\times 10^{-4}eV## and ##\sigma =5 nm##. At 300 K we have ##10^{24}## molecules per ##m^3##.

Calculate the second virial coefficient. With that gas in an isolated chamber we suddenly change the volume of the chamber. (This process deserves a name after a gentleman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave-Adolphe_Hirn ). How much does the temperature change if the molecules per ##m^3## are now only ##10^{21}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having no problems with the first part, but massive ones for the second part.

I just can't find a way to calculate the temperature. How do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blah, nevermind here.

I sincerely apologize. Moderators can delete this topic.

As soon as I published this thread i realized that I can calculate the temperature directly from the equation of state ##p=\frac{Nk_bT}{V}(1+\frac{NB_2}{V})##

Again, apologies.

1. What is a real gas?

A real gas is a gas that does not behave according to the ideal gas law, which assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. Real gases have finite volumes and do interact with each other, resulting in deviations from the ideal gas law.

2. What is an isolated chamber?

An isolated chamber is a closed system that is completely insulated from its surroundings, meaning that there is no exchange of matter or energy between the chamber and its environment. In the context of a real gas, this means that the gas is contained in a chamber with rigid walls and there is no external influence on the gas particles.

3. How is the behavior of a real gas different from an ideal gas in an isolated chamber?

In an isolated chamber, a real gas will deviate from the ideal gas law due to intermolecular interactions and finite volumes of gas particles. This means that the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas will not follow the simple relationship described by the ideal gas law, and more complex equations must be used to accurately describe the behavior of the gas.

4. What are the factors that affect the behavior of a real gas in an isolated chamber?

The behavior of a real gas in an isolated chamber is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas, as well as the type of gas and the intermolecular forces between its particles. Additionally, the shape and size of the chamber can also influence the behavior of the gas.

5. How is the behavior of a real gas in an isolated chamber studied?

Scientists use various methods to study the behavior of real gases in isolated chambers. These methods include experiments using different gases and varying conditions, as well as mathematical models and simulations. Additionally, real gas behavior can also be studied through theoretical calculations and thermodynamic principles.