Calculating Residue of cos(z)/z in Contour Integral

  • Thread starter Thread starter HappyEuler2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Residue
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
HappyEuler2
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


So the problem at hand is to calculate the contour integral [tex]\oint[/tex] cos(z)/z around the circle abs(z)=1.5 .


Homework Equations


The integral is going to follow from the Cauchy-Integral Formula and the Residue theorem. The problem I am having is figuring out what the residue is going to be.


The Attempt at a Solution



So I know the pole is at z = 0, which lies inside of the contour. So the integral reduces to I=2*pi*i*residue @ 0. What I can't figure out is how to determine the residue. If I use maple, I know that the residue is 1, but I want to figure out where it comes from it. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If f(z) has a simple pole at z=c then the residue is lim z->c of (z-c)*f(z), isn't it? What does that give you?
 
Ah, thank you. I just needed someone to write it out clearly for me.

So the formal answer =2*Pi*i
 
Last edited: