1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integral- Complex variables

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    evaluate ##\int \frac{sinh(ax)}{sinh(\pi x)}## where the integral runs from 0 to infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    consider ##\frac{sinh(az)}{sinh(\pi z)}##
    Poles are at ##z= n \pi i##
    So I'm considering the contour integral around the closed contour from ##-R## to ##- \epsilon## then around a small semi-circle in the upper half plane of radius ##\epsilon##, then along ##\epsilon## to ##R## then from ##R## to ##R+i##, back along ##R## to ##\epsilon## along x+i, then along another semicircle, enclosing the pole at ##z=n \pi i ## and then similarly on the other side of the integral

I have shown that the two end contributions are zero, and that over the semicircle at ##z=0## the contribution is zero to end up with

##2(1+cosa) \int \frac{sinh(ax)}{sinh( \pi x)}## where this runs from 0 to infinity

and using Cauchy's reside theorem the only enclosed pole is the one at ##z=i## so this will be equal to ##2 \pi i (sinh(ai)) ##

hence I get

that ##\int \frac{sinh(ax)}{sinh( \pi x)}= \frac{- \pi sin(an)}{1+cos(a)}##

but the quoted answer is ##\frac{1}{2}tan(\frac{a}{2})##

I feel like I may have over complicated my contour

Many thanks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is it about ##\sinh(ax)/\sinh(\pi x)## that you want to evaluate? You did not say!

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    Oops- My mistake I forgot the integral and to state that it runs from 0 to infinity- I will fix that. Thanks

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your function does not have poles at ##z = i n \pi ## because ##\sinh(i n \pi^2 ) \neq 0## for integer ##n##.

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    Again, my mistake. I meant at ##z=ni## Im not great at copying the problem from my work to the computer :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted