Calculating shell side velocity and Reynolds number in baffled heat exchanger

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
PHYS&MECHE
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Shell Side Fluid Velocity of Baffled HX & Re -- Nobody knows last resort

Problem:
I need to know how to calculate the shell side fluid velocity for a Shell&Tube HX with *Baffles*. Also, the reynolds number for this flow

Known:
ms -Mass flow on shell side
Nt -Number of tubes
Lt -Length of tube bundle
Nb - Number of Baffles
Dis -Inside Diameter of Shell
Vs -Volumetric flow rate

--Also I know all fluid properties for shell side fluid i.e. Cp, rho, viscosity...

Comments: I have completed this for the tube side it was very simple but the shell side is difficult and can not find any equations to apply.

Design Engineer needing help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I will have to order the book I can't seem to figure it out. Thank you.