Calculating speed needed to create motional EMF of given magnitude

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Linus Pauling
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
1. How fast would you have to drive your car to create a 3.0 V motional emf along your 1.2 m-long radio antenna? Assume that the motion of the antenna is perpendicular to B.



2. d(phi)/dt = EMF
dphi = B*A
v = dx/dt




3. I'm really not sure here. I think the length of the antenna will be dx, but I don't see how I'd get dt so solve for velocity. In a previous problem, worked out a minimum speed needed to create an EMF by using dphi = B*A = EMF*dt. But here I don't know B or A...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I just overlooked the simple EMF = vlB relationship.