EMF generated by a magnetic field

In summary: If I use the left-hand rule, I am deducing that the top of the antenna would be negative and the bottom would be positive, would that be correct?Yes, that is correct.Yes, that is correct.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

An automobile with a vertical radio antenna of length 75 cm travels at 80 km/h eastward. The Earth’s magnetic field has magnitude of 7x10-5 T and is directed 52o downward with respect to due North. What EMF is generated between two ends of the antenna? Comment on the polarity of EMF as well.

Homework Equations

ε = Blv
To find V in m/s: 80km/h X 1000m/km X 1h/60m X 1m/60s = 22.22 m/s
l = 0.75m
θ = 52°

The Attempt at a Solution

7x10-5 X .75 X 22.22 X sin(52°)

= 9.1925 X 10-4 V

That make sense to you guys for part A?

As for Part B, the polarity, I don't really know how to determine. I know I will have to factor the direction of the car being towards the east, and the direction of the magnetic field, but I do not understand how one will interact with the other. Any hint in the right direction would be appreciated for this part!

Physics news on Phys.org
Parad0x88 said:
That make sense to you guys for part A?
Yes, that looks good. In my opinion you should mention which equation you are using and use SI symbols in the equation. And as for polarity, use left-hand rule to determine which end becomes negatively charged.

lep11 said:
Yes, that looks good. In my opinion you should mention which equation you are using and use SI symbols in the equation. And as for polarity, use left-hand rule to determine which end becomes negatively charged.

I always use units in the assignment, it just gets confusing on the computer :D

And isn't it the right-hand rule for everything related to magnetic fields?

Parad0x88 said:
I always use units in the assignment, it just gets confusing on the computer :D

And isn't it the right-hand rule for everything related to magnetic fields?
No, the left-hand rule is for negatively charged particles.

lep11 said:
No, the left-hand rule is for negatively charged particles.

Ahh I see, and since it's going downwards, then its negatively charged, is that correct?

Parad0x88 said:
Ahh I see, and since it's going downwards, then its negatively charged, is that correct?

If I use the left-hand rule, I am deducing that the top of the antenna would be negative and the bottom would be positive, would that be correct?

1. What is EMF generated by a magnetic field?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, which is a type of energy that is produced by a magnetic field. When a magnetic field changes or moves, it creates an electric field, which in turn generates an EMF.

2. How is EMF generated by a magnetic field measured?

EMF generated by a magnetic field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This measures the strength of the electric field that is created by the magnetic field.

3. What are the sources of EMF generated by a magnetic field?

EMF generated by a magnetic field can come from a variety of sources, including power lines, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. It can also be generated by natural sources such as the Earth's magnetic field or the sun's radiation.

4. What are the potential health effects of EMF generated by a magnetic field?

There is ongoing research about the potential health effects of EMF generated by a magnetic field. Some studies have suggested a link to certain health conditions, but more research is needed to fully understand the effects. In general, exposure to low levels of EMF is not considered harmful, but it is recommended to limit exposure to high levels.

5. How can one reduce exposure to EMF generated by a magnetic field?

To reduce exposure to EMF generated by a magnetic field, it is recommended to keep a safe distance from potential sources, such as power lines and electronic devices. Additionally, limiting the amount of time spent using electronic devices and keeping them at a safe distance can also help reduce exposure. Some people also choose to use EMF shielding devices or limit the use of wireless technology in their homes.