Current carrying bar in a magnetic field

In summary, the problem at hand involves a bar sliding on conducting rails connected to a dc generator. The bar is connected to a weight and is immersed in a uniform magnetic field. The goal is to calculate the current, induced electromotive force, and limiting speed when the weight reaches a constant speed. The value of the resistance of the bar is also computed for when the weight does not move at all. The question is then posed about the numerical value of the limiting speed if the bar's resistance is doubled. Finally, the equations of motion and current are used to determine the velocity of the weight in terms of the limiting speed and acceleration due to gravity.
BOAS
Hello,

I am having trouble seeing what is going on here and would really appreciate a discussion about the situation.

1. Homework Statement

A bar of length ##L = 20 cm## and negliglible mass can slide over two conducting rails connected to a dc generator producing an emf ##V_0 = 6 V##, connected so as to produce a current as in the figure. The resistance of the bar is ##R = 0.08 Ω##, all other parts having negligible resistance. The bar is connected through a pulley to a body of mass ##m = 1.2 kg## (see figure attached). The system is immersed in a uniform magnetic field orthogonal to the rails, as in the figure, whose magnitude is ##B = 1 T##. The system is designed in such a way that, after a while, the body is pulled upward with a constant limiting speed of magnitude ##v_∞##. Compute, when the limiting speed is reached:

(a) the current flowing in the circuit;

(b) the magnitude ##\mathcal{E}## of the induced electromotive force;

(c) the magnitude v∞ of the limiting speed.

(d) Compute the value ##R_0## of the resistance of the bar corresponding to which the body does not move at all.

(e) The sliding bar is replaced with another bar having resistance ##R = 2R_0##, with ##R_0## the resistance computed in part (d). What is the numerical value of the limiting speed ##v_∞## in this case?

(f) Let us consider again the case ##R = 2R0##. Using the equation of motion for the mass ##m## and the equation for the current ##I##, determine the velocity ##v(t)## of the mass ##m##, assumed to be initially at rest. Express your answer in terms of ##v_∞## and ##g##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The fact that the mass is moving upwards is really confusing me.

The weight attached to the pulley is acting to pull the bar towards the right.
The magnetic force on the current carrying bar acts to pull the bar to the left.
The fact that the bar is moving tells us that an EMF is induced that opposes this motion.

I think what I have is this ##(I_1 - I_2)LB = mg##, where ##I_1## is the current due to the battery and ##I_2## is due to the induced emf. The forces are equal due to no acceleration.

This suggests that a current flows with magnitude ##I = \frac{mg}{LB}## anticlockwise.

I haven't really managed to convince myself of this, so i'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you.

Attachments

• edfigure.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 238
Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
This suggests that a current flows with magnitude I=mgLBI = \frac{mg}{LB} anticlockwise.
Yes, calculate I.

Now, I = ( V0 - ε ) / R

and

ε = dψ/dt , where ψ is the flux through the closed loop ( number of turns = 1 ).

What is a current carrying bar?

A current carrying bar is a long, straight conductor through which an electric current flows.

What happens when a current carrying bar is placed in a magnetic field?

When a current carrying bar is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current.

How is the direction of the force on a current carrying bar determined?

The direction of the force on a current carrying bar is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the force on a current carrying bar?

The force on a current carrying bar is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the force on the bar also increases.

How can the force on a current carrying bar be increased?

The force on a current carrying bar can be increased by either increasing the current flowing through the bar or by increasing the strength of the magnetic field it is placed in.