Calculating Spring Constant From Plot of T^2 versus r^2

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving calculating the moment of inertia and spring constant of equal masses on a steel rod. The first part of the experiment involves calculating the torsional spring constant using a plot of T2 v r2 and the equation T2 = 4π2(I/k). The individual also shares their attempt at solving for k and asks for confirmation on their rearranging.
Physics Dad

Homework Statement

Hi,

I recently performed a lab experiment for calculating the moment of inertia and spring constant of a couple of equal masses on a steel rod. I had to do this experiment at the exact same time as performing another experiment so I was unable to perform any calculations in the lab, just simply gather data.

The first part of the experiment requires the calculation of the torsional spring constant (k) using a plot of T2 v r2 and as I was unable to perform calculations in the lab, I was hoping someone could provide a little guidance here.

Homework Equations

T2=4π2(I/k)
r2=I/2m
y=Δx+c (where Δis the gradient (wrong symbol, I know))

(T is the period of one single oscillation, r is the radius of the masses from the centre of mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that T2 = 4π2(I/k) and that r2 = I/2m (because there were two equally spaced masses on a thin rod of negligible mass). If I then plot T2 v r2 in JLineFit and equate this to the the equation of a straight line, I should find that T2 = Δr2+c.

Subbing in my values for T2 and r2 and solving for k, I get the equation to be:
2(I/k) = (ΔI/2m)+c

so if I start by multiplying through by k I get

2I=k((ΔI/2m)+c)

so

2I/((ΔI/2m)+c)=k

so

k = 4π2/((Δ/2m)+c)

All I really want to know is if my rearranging is correct (do the I's cancel?). I get very confused here!

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Dad said:
y=Δx+c
What is the relevance of this equation to your experiment? What do the symbols mean in terms of something that you measured?
Physics Dad said:
T2 = Δr2+c.
How do you use the symbol Δ? Usually it means a change.

Likes scottdave
it is the equation of a straight line (y=mx+c) I should have used ∇.

T is the time period of one single oscillation, r is the radius of the mass.

Thanks

OK, so since c is an arbitrary constant (to be determined from the data), then k*c can also be just an arbitrary constant. When you divided through by I to cancel, you would have an c/I, which is also an arbitrary constant, as well. This could simplify some things for you when you had 4π²I=k((ΔI/2m)+c) = =k*(ΔI/2m) + (k*c), where k*c, or even k*c/I can be just an arbitrary constant (to be determined).

To make things simple: You have ##T^2=4 \pi^2 I/k## and ##I = 2mr^2##. If you replace the ##I## in the first equation, you get
##T^2=8 \pi^2 mr^2/k##. Now let ##y=T^2##, ##slope=8 \pi^2 m/k## and ##r^2 = x##. Then you have the standard straight line equation ##y=slope*x##. I used "slope" instead of m in order not to confuse the "slope" m with the "mass" m. You can add an intercept ##c##, if you wish, but you need to explain what it means to have some non-zero period when r = 0. Once you get a number for the slope, you can solve ##slope=8 \pi^2 m/k## to find ##k##. This process is known as linearization.

1. What is the purpose of calculating spring constant from a plot of T^2 versus r^2?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of springs in various mechanical systems.

2. How do you create a plot of T^2 versus r^2 to calculate spring constant?

To create this plot, you will need to measure the period of oscillation (T) and the distance the spring is stretched or compressed (r) for several different masses. Then, square the values of T and r for each data point and plot T^2 versus r^2. The slope of the resulting line will be equal to 4π^2 divided by the spring constant.

3. Can you calculate spring constant without creating a plot of T^2 versus r^2?

Yes, you can calculate spring constant using the formula k = 4π^2m/g, where m is the mass attached to the spring and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, creating a plot of T^2 versus r^2 allows you to verify your results and account for any errors in measurement.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating spring constant from a plot of T^2 versus r^2?

The accuracy of this calculation can be affected by factors such as experimental errors in measuring T and r, variations in the spring's stiffness, and the presence of external forces like friction or air resistance.

5. How can the calculated spring constant be used in practical applications?

The calculated spring constant can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and testing mechanical systems that involve springs, determining the force required to compress or stretch a spring to a certain distance, and predicting the behavior of springs under different loads and conditions.