Calculating Support Reaction Forces using Method of Joints

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of methods to determine member forces and axial forces in a structure. The speaker was unable to calculate support reaction forces using equilibrium equations and mentions the structure is statically indeterminate. They also inquire about adding a new equation and ask if support reaction forces will equal the weight of the structure and load. The conversation ends with a lack of understanding.
daphnelee-mh
Summary:: The question requires us to determine the member forces using method of joints but I couldn’t figure out how to calculate the support reaction forces

I tried to use equilibrium equations to solve the question but the force applied will be canceled out, and eventually the reaction force will be zero

Attachments

• DAC9F7FC-64B0-447E-87D8-F4EEB7B66745.jpeg
    DAC9F7FC-64B0-447E-87D8-F4EEB7B66745.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 117
Physics news on Phys.org
Summary:: The question requires us to determine the axial forces using method of sections but it is statically indetermine structure

Can I make up one more equation by summing the moment at point O ?

Attachments

• 266755BC-C8E1-4F37-A9B1-0F3E371BA4D8.jpeg
    266755BC-C8E1-4F37-A9B1-0F3E371BA4D8.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 121
Will the support reaction forces G and H not sum to the weight of the structure, plus the load ?

Baluncore said:
Will the support reaction forces G and H not sum to the weight of the structure, plus the load ?
Sorry I don’t understand

1. How do I determine the support reaction forces using the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints involves analyzing the equilibrium of a joint by considering all the external and internal forces acting on it. To determine the support reaction forces, you will need to draw a free-body diagram of the joint and apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and sum of moments) to solve for the unknown reaction forces.

2. What are the key assumptions made when using the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints assumes that the truss is in static equilibrium, meaning that all the forces acting on the truss are balanced. It also assumes that the joints are perfectly connected and do not experience any bending or deformation.

3. Can the Method of Joints be used for all types of truss structures?

The Method of Joints is most commonly used for simple truss structures where the members are connected by pin joints. It can also be used for more complex truss structures, but the analysis may become more challenging and time-consuming.

4. How do I know if my calculated support reaction forces are correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculations, you can perform a check by analyzing another joint in the truss and comparing the results. If the support reaction forces are correct, the joint should also be in equilibrium. You can also use software programs or physical testing to verify your results.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating support reaction forces besides the Method of Joints?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Method of Sections and the Castigliano's Theorem. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of truss structures or can provide a different perspective on the analysis. It is important to choose the most appropriate method based on the given truss structure and your level of understanding.