Calculating suspension requirements for a cart?

In summary, the cart will need a suspension system with a frequency of 1 Hz to 1.5 Hz to meet the comfort requirements. There is a calculator to help find this.
beany_bot
Hi, I am building a cart for my dog to pull around. I am going to put my child in it once they are about 1.
Something like this.
Picture+054.jpg

The paths we plan to go on though are not very smooth so I want to fit some suspension to the cart to make a smoother journey.
Now the weight of the cart will be relatively little so I can't use trailer or automotive suspension, so I am wondering how do I calculate what suspension is required? I've google but not found a simple "input weight and find what suspension required" type formula. I want it for "comfort". This isn't a race cart and won't be cornering fast.

I'm sure I could make some sort of leaf spring / silvercross pram type suspension. but no idea to what forces it should be set to? twice the weight of the cart? 3x? 4x? not a clue.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you'd calculate that but I'd use a stiff axle like the one pictured and mount the wagon at 4 points, build the wagon to loosely bolt to the axle with a vertical slotted tracks at these 4 points (so the wagon body can travel up and down) build a flat box structure under the wagon (on the axle)... then just insert an inflatable rubber car or truck inner tube between the axle and the wagon, figure out a way to secure the tube so that it doesn't come out, then inflate it to the desired springiness. Then you have an adjustable air ride system.

The above "air suspension" is a good suggestion. I owned an early model Morgan sports cars that had an essentially rigid suspension and the seat cushions had an air "bladder" made up of a coiled bicycle type tube; and this system worked pretty well. Actually, placing a cushion inside the wagon is still the best way to reduce hard and painful pressure points on the seating area.

The suspension requirement for comfort is a natural frequency in the range of 60 to 90 cycles per minute (CPM), or about 1 Hz to 1.5 Hz. To get this, you will need springs that will cause the cart to sink between 4 and 10 inches under the cart's weight.

There is more information here.

There is a calculator here. For example, if you have a cart that weights 200 lb (loaded) and a 2-wheel and axle assembly of 20 lb that would mean 100 lb corner weight and 10 lb unsprung weight (for each wheel). You will find that you need a 20 lb/in effective coil rate to obtain a 4.5" [ = (100-10)/20 ] static deflection (or a 1.48 Hz wheel frequency). If you have a 1:1 motion ratio (like with a solid axle), this will mean a 20 lb/in spring for each wheel. Anyway, you can play around with your numbers.

If the static deflection is too much for your liking, you can add preload to the spring, i.e. having the spring compressed while the wheel is off the ground. The more it is compressed, the less it will initially deflect under the cart's weight. But the frequency will remain the same and the ride comfort criteria will still be respected.

1. How do you calculate the suspension requirements for a cart?

To calculate the suspension requirements for a cart, you will need to know the weight of the cart, the weight of the load it will carry, and the terrain it will be traveling on. You will also need to determine the desired level of comfort and stability for the cart. These factors will help you determine the appropriate spring rate, damping ratio, and shock absorber length for the suspension system.

2. What is the purpose of calculating suspension requirements for a cart?

The purpose of calculating suspension requirements for a cart is to ensure that the cart can safely and effectively carry its intended load while providing a comfortable and stable ride. This is especially important when the cart will be traveling over rough or uneven terrain, as a well-designed suspension system can help to absorb shocks and vibrations, reducing the wear and tear on the cart and its contents.

3. What are the different types of suspension systems that can be used for a cart?

The most common types of suspension systems used for carts are leaf spring, coil spring, torsion bar, and air bag suspensions. Leaf spring suspensions use stacked metal strips to support the load, while coil spring suspensions use metal coils to absorb shocks. Torsion bar suspensions use a metal bar to provide support, and air bag suspensions use compressed air to adjust the height and firmness of the suspension.

4. How do you determine the appropriate spring rate for a cart's suspension system?

The appropriate spring rate for a cart's suspension system can be determined by dividing the total weight of the cart and its load by the number of wheels on the cart. This will give you the weight that each wheel needs to support. The spring rate should be chosen to support at least 80% of this weight to ensure a comfortable and stable ride.

5. Can the suspension requirements for a cart change based on the type of terrain it will be traveling on?

Yes, the suspension requirements for a cart may change based on the type of terrain it will be traveling on. For example, a cart traveling over rough terrain may require a higher spring rate and shock absorber length to absorb shocks and vibrations. Additionally, a cart traveling over steep inclines may require a more powerful suspension system to support the weight of the load and prevent the cart from tipping over.