Can I Modify My Leaf Springs for Increased Truck Payload Capacity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AM1990
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
AM1990
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Hi.
If I am going to increase pay load on a truck (within front and rear axle capacity). It is supposed to modify or add leafs in semi-elliptical leaf spring. I want to know what should be the max considerations for doing so?
Just adding some leafs in suspension can fulfill the requirement?
or there would be any design practice/calculation that should be followed?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
when you add a leaf you are adding spring rate, just make sure the main leaf can taker your max load..typically we add a spring leaf of length in between the current leafs and only add two or three leafs, more than that make jeaporidize the main leaf
 
Ranger Mike said:
when you add a leaf you are adding spring rate, just make sure the main leaf can taker your max load..typically we add a spring leaf of length in between the current leafs and only add two or three leafs, more than that make jeaporidize the main leaf

I am willing to add 2 leaves in total but I am confused where to put them. As it is obvious that a leaf suspension looks like triangular shape, so I am not sure its triangularity would be affected of not? If so then what would be the result? or shall I need to modify other leaves too to maintain its shape?
 
Ranger Mike said:
can you post a photo or drawing so we can see the " triangle"...
Ranger Mike said:
can you post a photo or drawing so we can see the " triangle"...
IMG_20151207_092206_424.jpg
IMG_20151207_092214_024.jpg
Might be these picture could help you also term "triangle" is just used for reference as it has a uniform shape that looks like a "triangle".
 
AM1990 said:
I am willing to add 2 leaves in total but I am confused where to put them. As it is obvious that a leaf suspension looks like triangular shape, so I am not sure its triangularity would be affected of not? If so then what would be the result? or shall I need to modify other leaves too to maintain its shape?
This is the reason it is a "triangle"
http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/leaf-spring-design.htm

Instead of adding leaves, investigate adding an overload leaf, such as seen in the picture at the bottom.
http://www.torklift.com/index.php/blog/tags/listings/overload-leaf-springs?format=feed&type=rss
That way your ride is not affecting until you have the very heavy loads you wish to carry.