Calculating t-statistic without raw data

• Thread starter Yoha
  • Start date
In summary, a researcher found a significant result using One-way ANOVA (F1,11 =15.29, P˂.01). The equivalent t-statistic value for F1,11 =15.29 is t=5.39. The one-tailed and two tailed p value for the t-statistic is p=.039 and p=.028, respectively.
Yoha
Can anybody help please!

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody would help answering my question.
If a researcher found a significant result using One-way ANOVA (F1,11 =15.29, P˂.01), What is the equivalent t-statistic value for F1,11 =15.29? what is the one-tailed and two tailed p value for the t-statistic?

A value of p<.05 was considered statistically significant.

I couldn't figure out how to calculate t-statistic because the author didn't provide the mean and standard deviation of both groups.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey Yoha and welcome to the forums.

It might help if you give a bit more context for your question.

ANOVA is used to compare means in a way that you avoid the Type I errors associated with t-tests in this context.

This page shows you how the values are calculated for the F-distribution given the data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_variance#Logic_of_ANOVA

If you haven't been given any information about the variance/standard deviation or the means for the two groups, I don't think you will be able to get the parameters for your t-distribution.

You would have to expand out the definitions to see if you get at least two independent equations for the two variables of variance and mean of your associated t-distribution.

Hi Chiro,

Thanks very much for your reply.

It’s a part of an experiment conducted to see the plasma concentration of Oxytocin after prolonged release of Oxytocin . The author also mentioned that there was a significant -ve correlation (pearson correlation test) = -.60, p<.05 between plasma and adipocyte (fat cells) size, and he provided a graph for both.
With regard to the concentration graph , he mentioned underneath the graph the following:
Plasma concentration of Oxy. In Westar rats treated with either Oxyt. (n=6) or saline =control(n=7) for 2 weeks . Data are expressed as means+- SEM, p<.01.
That’s all what he provided, there is no baseline data and no treatment data.
Here is the article link if you’re interested in knowing more

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20846187

Thanks for your help!

Hey Yoha.

I had a look at the article and I noticed this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031065/figure/fig03/

After reading the rest of the paper I couldn't find any specific information for the mean and variance, but if you can't get the exact numbers you might want to estimate them from the graphic above.

It's very odd that they do not include this data: it's very irresponsible in my view to hold back this kind of data for the reasons a) it gives other people to perform the calculation to check the results and b) it also provides a way for other researchers with domain experience to check the data for integrity.

Is this the norm in health or is this a one off kind of thing?

Hi Chiro,

Thanks very much for spending a time reading the article.
You're absolutely right, I was going to do what you suggested in order to estimate the means and variances. With regards to the paper, it's weird! they didn't provide the raw data of their work which is a question mark, but, they published in a very good journal.I don't know how they accepted it.!

Anyway, many thanks
I appreciate your help.
Cheers!

1. What resources are available for someone who needs help?

There are many resources available for those who need help, depending on the specific issue. Some options include reaching out to friends and family, seeking support from a mental health professional, contacting a crisis hotline, or searching online for support groups or forums.

2. How can someone find help for a specific problem?

To find help for a specific problem, it may be helpful to first identify the specific issue and then research resources or professionals who specialize in that area. For example, if someone is struggling with anxiety, they may search for therapists who specialize in treating anxiety disorders.

3. Is it okay to ask for help?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help. Seeking support when we need it is a sign of strength and self-awareness. It is important to remember that everyone needs help at some point in their lives, and reaching out for assistance is a crucial step in improving our well-being.

4. What should I do if I don't know where to turn for help?

If you are unsure of where to turn for help, you can start by talking to a trusted friend or family member. They may be able to offer suggestions or connect you with resources. You can also do a quick online search for resources in your area or call a crisis hotline for guidance.

5. How can I support someone who is asking for help?

If someone you know is asking for help, the best way to support them is by listening without judgment and offering empathy and understanding. You can also offer to help them research resources or accompany them to appointments if needed. It is important to respect their boundaries and allow them to make their own decisions about seeking help.