Calculating temperature change when dissolving Urea

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the temperature change when 5g of Urea is dissolved in 10mL of water. The first step is to calculate the enthalpy of solution by subtracting the enthalpy of hydration from the lattice energy of Urea. Then, this value is multiplied by the number of moles of Urea to get the total enthalpy change. However, there is a problem with determining the heat capacity of the solution, so it is suggested to assume the heat capacity of pure water for a more accurate result. Additionally, using the enthalpy of formation is a simpler method for calculating the enthalpy of solution.
Neptulin
If 5g grams Urea is dissolved in 10mL water, what is the temperature change?

We are not given any constants as we are meant to research.

Here is what I think I have to do:
Calculate enthalpy of solution of urea. That is, enthalpy of hydration - lattice energy of urea.
Then I multiply this by the number of moles of Urea (mass divided by RMM) to get the total enthalpy change.
After this step I have a problem. With just water I could isolate ΔΤ in Q=mCΔΤ, although here I am dealing with a mixture of Urea and water, so the heat capacity value is inaccurate. If I had equal quantities (in moles) of Urea and water could I average the heat capacity of both and use that (and thus use the ratio between the moles of urea and water to work something out in this scenario)? Or have I done something completely wrong to begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, you are on the right track.

If you are not able to find specific heat of the solution (it can be difficult to find), assume that of pure water. It won't be precise, but better than nothing, and most likely better than average value you were thinking about.

Thanks. I found it was much easer to calculate the enthalpy of solution by using enthalpy of formation, and then I followed your advice.

1. How can I calculate the temperature change when dissolving Urea?

The temperature change when dissolving Urea can be calculated using the formula: ΔT = (q / m) * (1 / Cp), where ΔT is the temperature change, q is the heat released or absorbed during the process, m is the mass of Urea being dissolved, and Cp is the heat capacity of Urea.

2. What is the heat capacity of Urea?

The heat capacity of Urea is approximately 1.33 J/g·K. However, this value may vary depending on the concentration and temperature of the solution.

3. How do I determine the heat released/absorbed during the dissolving process?

The heat released/absorbed can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of the solution during the dissolving process. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the formula: q = m * Cp * ΔT, where q is the heat released/absorbed, m is the mass of Urea being dissolved, and ΔT is the temperature change.

4. Can the temperature change when dissolving Urea be affected by other factors?

Yes, the temperature change when dissolving Urea can be affected by factors such as the initial temperature of the solution, the rate of dissolving, and the amount of Urea being dissolved. Other external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities can also impact the temperature change.

5. How accurate is the calculation of temperature change when dissolving Urea?

The calculation of temperature change when dissolving Urea can provide a fairly accurate estimate, but it may not account for all possible factors that can affect the process. The accuracy can also vary depending on the precision of the measurements and the assumptions made in the calculations.