Create a Gibbs Free Energy challenge question

In summary, the conversation centers around using bond energy to calculate the enthalpy change of an exothermic and spontaneous reaction. This can then be used to determine the equilibrium constant and the amount of product or remaining reagent. The next step would be to calculate the new Gibbs free energy change and extrapolate the enthalpy and entropy to the new temperature. However, there is uncertainty about how to extrapolate the entropy and the possibility of incorporating isomers into the question. The ultimate goal is to create a well-structured question for a class or test.
jaumzaum
Homework Statement
My teacher asked us to create an extremely difficult question that involves Gibbs free energy and/or isomers.
Relevant Equations
G=H-TS
I was thinking about giving the bond energy to calculate the enthalpy change of some exothermic and spontaneous reaction. Than using that exothermic enthalpy to heat the own products and reagents. That would change the Gibbs free energy of the equation (as the elements will be in a different temperature). That way the equilibrium constant will also change. Than I can say that if I put x moles of the reagent, how much product will be formed? Or how much reagent will still left?

For that it would be needed to calculate the new Gibbs free energy change and to extrapolate the enthalpy and entropy to that temperature. For the first one we could use n Cp delta(T), but I don’t know how to extrapolate the second. Also, it would be nice to put some isomers into the question, I don’t know.

Feel free to give some opinions. How could I get all of that together into a well structred question? Any other topic that you think it would be nice to put there? Or even some totally different question. It does not worth anything, it’s just for the class and the teacher try to solve difficult questions in the class and prepare for the test.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available for a chemical reaction to occur at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy calculated?

The Gibbs Free Energy can be calculated using the equation: ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

3. What is the significance of Gibbs Free Energy in chemistry?

Gibbs Free Energy is an important concept in chemistry as it helps to determine whether a reaction is spontaneous or non-spontaneous. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and will occur without the input of external energy. If ΔG is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without the input of external energy.

4. How can I create a Gibbs Free Energy challenge question?

To create a Gibbs Free Energy challenge question, you can come up with a chemical reaction and provide the values for ΔH, ΔS, and temperature. Then, ask the participants to calculate the ΔG for the reaction and determine if it is spontaneous or non-spontaneous.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals and energy production, to determine the feasibility and efficiency of chemical reactions. It is also used in environmental studies to understand and predict natural processes, such as weathering and erosion.