Change in internal energy during vapourization of water

In summary, the enthalpy of vaporization for water, assuming it behaves as an ideal gas, is x joules per mole. The change in internal energy at 100 degrees Celsius for one mole of water cannot be assumed to be constant and must take into account the energy required for the phase change. The heat absorbed during this phase change is known as the latent heat.
shivambehl

Homework Statement

Assuming water to be an ideal gas, enthalpy of vaporization is x joules per mole. I have to find change in internal energy an 100 degree Celsius for one mole of water. also find heat absorbed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought that during vaporization of water, temperature does not change and hence internal energy should remain constant (assuming ideal gas behaviour by water ).
but my assumption was found to be wrong.

I am totally confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
shivambehl said:

Homework Statement

Assuming water to be an ideal gas, enthalpy of vaporization is x joules per mole. I have to find change in internal energy an 100 degree Celsius for one mole of water. also find heat absorbed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought that during vaporization of water, temperature does not change and hence internal energy should remain constant (assuming ideal gas behaviour by water ).
but my assumption was found to be wrong.

I am totally confused...
It takes energy to accomplish the phase change from liquid to vapor. The fact that this phase change occurs at constant temperature does not necessarily mean that the energy in the water is constant. Same deal when water changes phase from liquid to solid. Energy must be removed from the liquid water to turn it into ice. The energy which must be added/removed is known as latent heat. For freezing water, this is the latent heat of fusion. For making steam, this is the latent heat of vaporization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat

1. What is the definition of "change in internal energy"?

The change in internal energy refers to the difference in the amount of energy that a substance has before and after a process, such as vapourization. It takes into account the heat absorbed or released during the process.

2. How does vapourization affect the internal energy of water?

Vapourization of water requires energy to break the hydrogen bonds between water molecules, resulting in an increase in the internal energy of the water as it changes from a liquid to a gas state.

3. What factors can affect the change in internal energy during vapourization of water?

The change in internal energy during vapourization of water can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the amount of water being vaporized. The higher the temperature and pressure, the more energy is required for vapourization.

4. Is the change in internal energy during vapourization of water always positive?

No, the change in internal energy during vapourization of water can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction of the process. If water is being vaporized, the change in internal energy will be positive as energy is being absorbed. However, if water is condensing, the change in internal energy will be negative as energy is being released.

5. What is the relationship between the change in internal energy and the enthalpy of vaporization of water?

The change in internal energy and the enthalpy of vaporization of water are directly related. Enthalpy of vaporization is a measure of the energy required to vaporize a substance at a specific temperature and pressure. Therefore, the change in internal energy during vapourization of water can be calculated using the enthalpy of vaporization value for water.