Calculating Tension in a Hanging Rope: To Add or Not to Add?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fusilli_Jerry89
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Fusilli_Jerry89
Messages
158
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Just a quick question, when a single rope has a weight hanging in the middle of it, causing it to form a triangle, and the question asks what the tension in the rope is, do you add the 2 tensions together (if they are the same on both sides) or is the naswer just the one tension?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd look at it like two identical ropes holding onto the weight... So I don't know why it would make sense to add the tensions.
 
Ask yourself why would you add the two tensions when you already know what they are.
 
Personally, i treat the two tensions as separate as in from hanging from two ropes. Force of habit, but some problems including those ugly pulley probs with mass and especially friction, demand separate consideration. In symmetry situations, I like TODS approach.