Calculating the center of gravity (hard version)

In summary, a Cessna C-172M has an empty weight of 1350 lbs and when weighed, the load on each main wheel is 474 lbs and on the nose wheel is 402 lbs. Using the formula for calculating the center of mass, the center of gravity for the empty Cessna is located at a fraction of the distance between the nose wheel and main wheels, with the weight at the nose wheel being zero and the weight at the main wheels being at a distance D from the nose wheel.
mathguy2

Homework Statement

A Cessna C-172M has empty weight 1350 lbs. When it is weighed, the load on each of the main wheels is 474 lbs. The load on the nose wheel is 402 lbs. Where is the center of gravity of the empty Cessna?

Ok so the question assumes you know what a Cessna looks like, but it's like this: the nose wheel bears 402 lbs. The main wheels bear 948lbs (2 wheels so 474 x 2 = 948). 948 + 402 = 1350, so it's correct.

Homework Equations

I believe this is the equation for translating 2 weights into 1 weight (the center of gravity being the 1 weight)

L1 = (L x W2) / W

L2 = (L x W1) / W

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologize, but this is really confusing me. The reason I'm struggling is that I don't have any lengths, which I guess might mean that this is a 2 stage problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to even get started. If you look at my recent posts, you can see me working through similar problems, but this one is really throwing a curve at me.

I keep solving until L1 = 948 / 1350 and
L2 = 402 / 1350

but from here (even if this a correct first step), I have no clue how to go. Feedback would be really appreciated because I've been staring at this for over an hour (sadly).

Physics news on Phys.org
Two options:
1. Go crazy and hunt down the dimensions of the plane to find the actual distance between the nose wheel and main wheels, or
2. Work symbolically by declaring the distance to be D and present an expression including D.

So there's no way to get a non-symbolic answer?

mathguy2 said:
So there's no way to get a non-symbolic answer?
Not without coming up with actual dimensions.

Ugh,

Ok so doing it symbolically, where L = D for (Distance from main wheels to nose wheel)

I get...

L1 = (D x 948) / 1350

L2 = (D x 402) / 1350

but to where from here?

Since you don't have any actual dimensions a practical approach is to take one of the given landmarks as a reference point and express the center of mass in terms of the fraction of the distance between it and the other landmark. If you take the nose wheel as the reference point then the weight measured there is zero distance from it, but the weight at the main wheels is at distance D from it. You can write a single expression for the location of the center of mass using the individual weights and distances from the chosen reference point. In general, if you have a set of i = 1..n weights and their distances from the point of reference: wi and di then the center of mass will be given by
$$d_{cm} = \frac{\displaystyle\sum_{i = 1}^{n} w_i d_i}{\displaystyle\sum_{i = 1}^{n} w_i}$$

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point at which an object will balance, no matter how it is oriented.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses in an object. This involves multiplying the mass of each part of the object by its distance from a chosen reference point and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object.

3. Why is calculating the center of gravity important?

Calculating the center of gravity is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and design. It allows for the analysis of an object's stability and balance, and can help predict how an object will behave when subjected to external forces.

4. What are the challenges in calculating the center of gravity?

One challenge in calculating the center of gravity is accurately determining the distribution of mass within an object. This can be especially difficult for irregularly shaped objects or objects with complex internal structures. Another challenge is accounting for external forces, such as wind or friction, which can affect the stability of an object.

5. How can the center of gravity be used in practical applications?

The center of gravity is used in various practical applications, such as designing stable structures, determining the weight distribution of vehicles, and analyzing the stability of aircraft. It is also important in sports, where athletes must maintain their center of gravity to maintain balance and perform certain movements.