Calculating the change of momentum in a system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cheetogrease
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ball with momentum of 10 kg-m/s [E] hits an object and rebounds with momentum of 6 kg-m/s [W]. What was the change in momentum?

Homework Equations



delta p=p(final)-p(initial)

The Attempt at a Solution



delta p=p(final)-p(initial)
delta p=(6 kg-m/s)-(10 kg-m/s)
delta p= -4 kg-m/s

This problem seems so simple, and yet it's in the middle of a worksheet full of really hard problems, so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that impact is head on i.e. there are no angles involved.

Do not forget that momentum is a VECTOR.
Hence if to the RHS one takes it as positive, it must be taken as negative when it reverses direction.