Calculating the Effective Action of a Scalar Field Theory

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 4K views
latentcorpse
Messages
1,411
Reaction score
0
The effective action Γ[ϕ] for a scalar field theory is a functional of an auxiliary field ϕ(x). Both
Γ and ϕ are defined in terms of the generating functional for connected graphs W[J] as

[itex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)[/itex]

Show

[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)[/itex]

where [itex]G_n(x_1 , \dots , x_n) = (-i)^{n-1} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \dots \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_n)} W[J][/itex]
are the connected n point functions of the theory and
[itex]\Gamma_n(x_1 , \dots , x_n) = -i \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x_1)} \dots \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(x_n)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]

So far I have just substituted from the definitions to get
[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z)} W[J] \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \phi(y) \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} J(y)[/itex]
But then I am lost...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
So far I have just substituted from the definitions to get
[itex]- \int d^dz G_2(x,z) \Gamma_2(z,y) = \int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z)} W[J] \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} \phi(y) \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} J(y)[/itex]
But then I am lost...

From the identity for [tex]\phi(z)[/tex], you should have

[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/itex]
 
fzero said:
From the identity for [tex]\phi(z)[/tex], you should have

[itex]\int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/itex]

yeah sry that's what i meant

now can i just cancel the [itex]\phi(z)[/itex]'s or what? and how do i get rid of the integral?
 
well yeah since from the functional chain rule

[itex] \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)[/itex]
 
sgd37 said:
well yeah since from the functional chain rule

[itex] \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y)[/itex]

Of course! Thanks. As for the last bit, I am asked to show that
[itex]G_3(x_1, x_2, x_3) = \int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3<br /> G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3)[/itex]

So I substituted for the G's and the Gamma. All the i's cancelled. Then I used the functional chain rule and was left with

[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]

Then the only constructive thing I could think to do was to sub for Gamma as follows:
[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi - W[J] \right)[/itex]
So the 2nd term gives me exactly what I want but I don't know how to get rid of that first one?
 
latentcorpse said:
Then the only constructive thing I could think to do was to sub for Gamma as follows:
[itex]\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi - W[J] \right)[/itex]
So the 2nd term gives me exactly what I want but I don't know how to get rid of that first one?

You can compute the derivatives of the first term by noting that

[itex] \frac{\delta }{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z)}[/itex]

on functionals of [tex]\phi[/tex].
 
fzero said:
You can compute the derivatives of the first term by noting that

[itex] \frac{\delta }{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z)}[/itex]

on functionals of [tex]\phi[/tex].

So we have

[itex] \frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \int d^dz_1 \int d^dz_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta\phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_2)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_3)} \int d^dx J \phi[/itex]

But what are the [itex]J[/itex] and the [itex]\phi[/itex] functions of? Without knowing that surely I cannot do the derivatives? And can I just move those functional derivatives inside that last integral so they can act on the [itex]J \phi[/itex]?

Thanks!
 
latentcorpse said:
So we have

[itex] \frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \left( \int d^dx J \phi \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \int d^dz_1 \int d^dz_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta\phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_2)} \frac{\delta\phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta }{\delta \phi(z_3)} \int d^dx J \phi[/itex]

This is a bad way to write things, since there's no reason to use the chain rule when the derivatives act on [tex]J[/tex].

But what are the [itex]J[/itex] and the [itex]\phi[/itex] functions of? Without knowing that surely I cannot do the derivatives? [/tex]

Those are functions of the integration variable [tex]x[/tex].

And can I just move those functional derivatives inside that last integral so they can act on the [itex]J \phi[/itex]?

Yes.
 
fzero said:
This is a bad way to write things, since there's no reason to use the chain rule when the derivatives act on [tex]J[/tex].
I don't see how else to write it or what the problem is. However, I expanded it out and got:

[itex]\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} ( J(x) \delta^{(d)}(x-z_3) )[/itex]
[itex]=\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} J(z_3)[/itex]
[itex]=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} = \frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_2)}=0[/itex]

How's that? If it's wrong, can you elaborate on what the problem was in the last post please. Thanks.
 
latentcorpse said:
I don't see how else to write it or what the problem is. However, I expanded it out and got:

[itex]\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} ( J(x) \delta^{(d)}(x-z_3) )[/itex]
[itex]=\int d^dz_1 \int d^d z_2 \int d^dz_3 \frac{\delta \phi(z_1)}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_2)}{\delta J(x_2)} \frac{\delta \phi(z_3)}{\delta J(x_3)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z_2)} J(z_3)[/itex]
[itex]=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} = \frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_2)}=0[/itex]

How's that? If it's wrong, can you elaborate on what the problem was in the last post please. Thanks.

But

[itex]\frac{\delta J(z_3)}{\delta \phi(z_1)} =0 (*)[/itex]

is not compatible with

[itex] \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta J(x)} = \int d^dz \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta J(y)}{\delta \phi(z)} = \delta^{(d)}(x-y).[/itex]

Since we know the 2nd form is correct, the derivative (*) must not be zero.

What I'm telling you is that you need to use a sort of convective derivative here:

[tex]\frac{D}{DJ(x)} = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} + \int d^dz \frac{\delta \phi(z) } {\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(z)} .[/tex]

For instance

[tex]\frac{D}{DJ(x)} ( F[J] G[\phi] ) = \frac{\delta F[J]}{\delta J(x)} G[\phi] + F[J] \int d^dz \frac{\delta \phi(z) } {\delta J(x)} \frac{\delta G[\phi]}{\delta \phi(z)}.[/tex]
 
Disregard my last couple of posts, since I seem to be overcomplicating things.

The first equation you started with


[itex] W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)[/itex]

is completely compatible with

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(z) } \left( W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] \right) = \phi(z),[/tex]

which means that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/tex]

so that we should consider

[tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0.[/tex]

So there's no reason to use the chain rule to compute derivatives here, since [tex]J,\phi[/tex] are independent variables. You can go back to your post #5 and compute away.
 
fzero said:
Disregard my last couple of posts, since I seem to be overcomplicating things.

The first equation you started with


[itex] W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi , \quad \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)} W[J] = \phi(x)[/itex]

is completely compatible with

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(z) } \left( W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] \right) = \phi(z),[/tex]

which means that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/tex]

so that we should consider

[tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0.[/tex]

So there's no reason to use the chain rule to compute derivatives here, since [tex]J,\phi[/tex] are independent variables. You can go back to your post #5 and compute away.

In post 5 I had [itex] \frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi][/itex]
which will surely vanish since you have just shown to me that [itex]\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/itex], right?

One other thing, how did you deduce at the end of your last post that [tex]\frac{\delta \phi(x) }{\delta J(z) } = 0[/tex]?
 
Sorry, I think I have to take my last post back. One can't conclude that [tex]\delta \phi/\delta J =0[/tex] because we also have to take into account that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} = J(x),[/tex]

with a similar equation for [tex]W[J][/tex]. So we know that

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(y)} \frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} \neq 0[/tex]

and you have to use the chain rule everywhere anyway.

By the way the equation that was confusing me originally works out properly under the chain rule. We had

[itex] W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x) , ~~~(*)[/itex]

so the derivative of the LHS with respect to [tex]J(z)[/tex] is

[tex]\frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(z)} + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta \phi(x)} = \phi(z) + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)} J(x),[/tex]

where we used [tex]\delta \Gamma[\phi]/\delta \phi(x) = J(x)[/tex], [tex]\delta W[J] /\delta J(x) = \phi(x)[/tex]. Whereas on the RHS of (*), we compute directly using the chain rule

[tex]\phi(z) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(z)}.[/tex]

This can be shown to be equal to the preceeding expression by integration by parts.I believe, but haven't shown that similar manipulations will lead to the correct result for the 3-point function. Your last post seems to imply that we couldn't derive that result if we ignored the partial derivatives in the chain rule.

Sorry for the confusion, but I think we were on the right track at the beginning.
 
fzero said:
Sorry, I think I have to take my last post back. One can't conclude that [tex]\delta \phi/\delta J =0[/tex] because we also have to take into account that

[tex]\frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} = J(x),[/tex]

with a similar equation for [tex]W[J][/tex]. So we know that

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(y)} \frac{\delta \Gamma}{\delta \phi(x)} \neq 0[/tex]

and you have to use the chain rule everywhere anyway.

By the way the equation that was confusing me originally works out properly under the chain rule. We had

[itex] W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x) , ~~~(*)[/itex]

so the derivative of the LHS with respect to [tex]J(z)[/tex] is

[tex]\frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(z)} + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}\frac{\delta \Gamma[\phi] }{\delta \phi(x)} = \phi(z) + \int d^dx \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(z)} J(x),[/tex]

where we used [tex]\delta \Gamma[\phi]/\delta \phi(x) = J(x)[/tex], [tex]\delta W[J] /\delta J(x) = \phi(x)[/tex]. Whereas on the RHS of (*), we compute directly using the chain rule

[tex]\phi(z) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta\phi(z)}{\delta J(z)}.[/tex]

This can be shown to be equal to the preceeding expression by integration by parts.I believe, but haven't shown that similar manipulations will lead to the correct result for the 3-point function. Your last post seems to imply that we couldn't derive that result if we ignored the partial derivatives in the chain rule.

Sorry for the confusion, but I think we were on the right track at the beginning.

That's no problem. I had the right answer and the additional term [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x)[/itex] that I need to get rid of.

This becomes

[itex]= \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \left( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]

Is this looking ok?
 
latentcorpse said:
That's no problem. I had the right answer and the additional term [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \int d^dx J(x) \phi(x)[/itex] that I need to get rid of.

This becomes

[itex]= \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \left( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]

Is this looking ok?

Yes.

Actually a few more things are coming to me. Since

[tex]\phi(x) = \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(x)},[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{\delta\phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}= \frac{\delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(z) \delta J(x)}.[/tex]

Presumably there's a place to use this or a similar expression in your calculation.
 
fzero said:
Yes.

Actually a few more things are coming to me. Since

[tex]\phi(x) = \frac{\delta W[J]}{\delta J(x)},[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{\delta\phi(x)}{\delta J(z)}= \frac{\delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(z) \delta J(x)}.[/tex]

Presumably there's a place to use this or a similar expression in your calculation.

Well I can't see how it will vanish though:

[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} ( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{ \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( \frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_2) \frac{delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( 2\frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{2 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_1) \frac{\delta^3W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{3 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
 
latentcorpse said:
Well I can't see how it will vanish though:

[itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} ( \phi(x_3) + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{ \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( \frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_2) \frac{delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]=\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \left( 2\frac{\phi(x_3)}{\delta J(x_2)} + \int d^dx J(x) \frac{\delta^3 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} \right)[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{2 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^dx \delta^{(d)}(x-x_1) \frac{\delta^3W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{3 \delta^2 W[J]}{\delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)} + \int d^d x J(x) \frac{\delta^4 W[J]}{\delta J(x) \delta J(x_1) \delta J(x_2) \delta J(x_3)}[/itex]

That's a mess and I think it's partly due to trying to use the chain rule to claim that

[itex] \int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3<br /> G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3) = <br /> \frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi].[/itex]

The problem is that you'll find that

[tex]\left[ \frac{\delta \phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} , \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \right] \neq 0,[/tex]

so you can't just commute the factors of [tex]G_2[/tex] around like you'd want. In any case, the substitution

[tex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi[/tex]

also adds complications.


It seems like the smallest amount of fuss would be deriving this from the original identity on 2-pt functions:

[itex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \int d^dy_2 G_2(x_2,y_2) \Gamma_2(y_2,y_3) = 0.[/itex]
 
fzero said:
That's a mess and I think it's partly due to trying to use the chain rule to claim that

[itex] \int d^dy_1 d^dy_2 d^dy_3<br /> G_2(x_1, y_1)G_2(x_2, y_2)G_2(x_3, y_3) \Gamma_3(y_1, y_2, y_3) = <br /> \frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{ \delta}{\delta J(x_3)} \Gamma[\phi].[/itex]

The problem is that you'll find that

[tex]\left[ \frac{\delta \phi(z)}{\delta J(x)} , \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi(y)} \right] \neq 0,[/tex]

so you can't just commute the factors of [tex]G_2[/tex] around like you'd want. In any case, the substitution

[tex]W[J] + \Gamma[\phi] = \int d^dx J \phi[/tex]

also adds complications.


It seems like the smallest amount of fuss would be deriving this from the original identity on 2-pt functions:

[itex] \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \int d^dy_2 G_2(x_2,y_2) \Gamma_2(y_2,y_3) = 0.[/itex]
Erm sorry but where do I use this identity?
 
Acting with the derivative we get a sum of two terms, one involving [tex]G_3[/tex] and the other [tex]\Gamma_3[/tex]. You can derive the stated identity without having to worry about any ordering of derivatives.