Peskin complex scalar field current

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge operator for a complex scalar field, specifically the conserved current associated with a certain transformation. The equations and attempt at a solution are also mentioned, with a discrepancy found in the final answer compared to the one in Peskin. The person is seeking clarification on where they may have gone wrong.
Dansuer

Homework Statement

i'm trying to calculate the charge operator for a complex scalar field. I've got the overal problem right but I'm confused about this:
On page 18 of Peskin, it is written that the conserved current of a complex scalar field, associated with the transformation ##\phi \rightarrow \phi e^{\alpha \phi}##, is
$$ j^\mu = i(\partial^\mu \phi^*) \phi - i \phi^* (\partial^\mu \phi)$$
I'm trying to recalculate it.

Homework Equations

$$ j^\mu = \frac{\delta L}{\delta (\partial_\mu \phi)} \delta \phi +
\frac{\delta L}{\delta (\partial_\mu \phi^*)} \delta \phi^* $$
##\delta \phi = i \phi## and ##\delta \phi^* = -i \phi^*##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations i get
$$ j^\mu = i(\partial^\mu \phi^*) \phi - i (\partial^\mu \phi) \phi^*$$
and since i will later promote ##\phi## to an operator the order is important. Or not ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because when i calculate the charge operator, which is the time component of the conserved current, I get a different answer than the one in Peskin.Where am i wrong ?

1. What is a Peskin complex scalar field current?

A Peskin complex scalar field current is a mathematical representation of a quantum field theory that describes the behavior of scalar fields, which are fields that have a single value at each point in space and time. It is named after theoretical physicist Michael Peskin, who helped develop this concept.

2. How is a Peskin complex scalar field current used in quantum field theory?

A Peskin complex scalar field current is used to describe the interactions between particles and fields in quantum field theory. It helps to explain phenomena such as particle decay, scattering, and annihilation, and is a key tool in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. What are the equations that govern a Peskin complex scalar field current?

The equations that govern a Peskin complex scalar field current are known as the Klein-Gordon equations. These equations describe how the field changes over time and space, and how it interacts with other fields and particles.

4. How does the Peskin complex scalar field current relate to the Higgs field?

The Peskin complex scalar field current is similar to the Higgs field in that they both describe scalar fields. However, the Higgs field is a specific type of scalar field that is responsible for giving particles their mass, while the Peskin complex scalar field current is a more general concept used to describe other types of interactions in quantum field theory.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the Peskin complex scalar field current?

Studying the Peskin complex scalar field current can help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their interactions. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum computing.