Calculating the EMF of batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of EMF (electromotive force) for Zinc-Carbon batteries, specifically regarding the anode and cathode reactions. The standard potential for the anode reaction is -1.04 volts, while the cathode reaction has a potential of approximately +0.5 volts. These values may vary depending on the concentration of substances present, and it is easier to measure rather than calculate in concentrated solutions.
batteryguy
Hi all,

I'm a total noob when it comes to chemistry, and would need your help to understand the calculation of EMF for batteries.

I have a couple of questions about the calculation for Zinc-Carbon batteries in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc–carbon_battery

I can't manage to get 1.5V as a result...

So, here's a couple questions:

1) Anode reaction: Zn(s) → Zn2+(aq) + 2 e- [e° = -1.04 volts]
Why -1.04 ? Why not +0.76 like in all the textbooks and other webpages?
Like on this page: http://www.ausetute.com.au/calcelemf.html

2) Cathode reaction:
2MnO2(s) + 2 e- + 2NH4Cl(aq) → Mn2O3(s) + 2NH3(aq) + H2O(aq) + 2 Cl- [e° ≈ +.5 v]
How to get the 0.5V?

Thanks already for your help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
-0.76 (not +0.76) is a standard potential - that means it will be observed when activity of Zn2+ is exactly 1. As a first approximation that means concentration of Zn2+ equal to 1M - if the concentration is different, observed potential will be different (it can be calculated from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nernst_equation).

Same for the cathode - to calculate potential you need to take into account activities of all substances present. In concentrated solutions (and that's what you find in the battery, it is filled with NH4Cl paste) these are in practice impossible to calculate and it is easier to measure.

Thanks a lot! Very good explanation!

1. How do you calculate the EMF of a battery?

The EMF (Electromotive Force) of a battery can be calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by the total resistance (in ohms) of the circuit.

2. What is the equation for calculating the EMF of a battery?

The equation for calculating the EMF of a battery is: EMF = I * R, where I is the current and R is the resistance.

3. What units are used to measure EMF?

The units used to measure EMF are volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does temperature affect the EMF of a battery?

The EMF of a battery can be affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the battery decreases, leading to an increase in EMF. However, if the temperature becomes too high, it can cause internal resistance and decrease the EMF.

5. Can the EMF of a battery change over time?

Yes, the EMF of a battery can change over time due to factors such as usage, temperature, and internal chemical reactions. This is why batteries eventually lose their charge and need to be replaced.