Calculating the energy created by a bike pump that feeds a turbine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
rufusbufus
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Summary:: I have an assignment that is looking at how a bicycle pump is used to push air through a turbine to generate energy. I need to determine the energy input and energy created. I'm hoping I can get some direction on where to start.

The concept is straightforward. A bicycle pump of length l, radius r, is pushed down and the air expelled used to drive a turbine to generate electricity.

I have seen gravitational energy systems do something similar and the energy of the system is based upon potential energy, and directly proportional to the mass in the system (often the mass falling due to gravity, driving a generator).

For a bike pump, is the calculation the same but potential energy is a factor of the force being applied to the pump handle?

Also, if the air was replaced by water, assuming the air turbine and wind turbine were the same diameter, does the material being pushed through the pump and into the turbine have any bearing on the energy produced?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rufusbufus said:
The concept is straightforward. A bicycle pump of length l, radius r, is pushed down and the air expelled used to drive a turbine to generate electricity.

I have seen gravitational energy systems do something similar and the energy of the system is based upon potential energy, and directly proportional to the mass in the system (often the mass falling due to gravity, driving a generator).

For a bike pump, is the calculation the same but potential energy is a factor of the force being applied to the pump handle?
...
Yes. So how will you be applying force to the pump handle? Do you have a way of specifying or calculating what that force will be?
 
rufusbufus said:
Summary::

Also, if the air was replaced by water, assuming the air turbine and wind turbine were the same diameter, does the material being pushed through the pump and into the turbine have any bearing on the energy produced?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start!

The kinetic energy of fluids depends upon the density of the substance. Water is more dense than air, so yes it does have a bearing.