Calculating the expected value for a probability

In summary, the expected profit for the ice-cream store is $650 per day for part a and $600 per day for part b, taking into account the costs of production and the demand distribution.
samchan5167

Homework Statement

An ice-cream store makes 150 ice-cream balls every day. The cost of making each ice-cream ball is $3. The price of an ice-cream ball is $8. The demand distribution is as follows: 100 ice-cream balls with probability 25%, 150 ice-cream balls with probability 50%, and 200 ice-cream balls with probability 25%
a. What is the store’s expected profit every day?
b. If the store decides to make 200 ice-cream balls every day, what is the store’s expected profit every day?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused whether i should use the probability for 200 ice-cream for part a since the store can only produced 150 ice-cream balls every day. But for part b, i should use the probability for 200 ice-cream balls, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
samchan5167 said:
I'm confused whether i should use the probability for 200 ice-cream for part a since the store can only produced 150 ice-cream balls every day.
Use it. The demand for 200 is relevant. Demand is not necessarily satisfied by sales. If the demand is 200 and only 150 are produced, you assume 150 are sold.

Thanks! If this is the case then, the two questions will have the same answer?
This is my solution:
profit=8-3=5
expected profit per day=5(100)(25%)+5(150)(50%)+200(5)(25%)
Is this right?

samchan5167 said:
Thanks! If this is the case then, the two questions will have the same answer?
This is my solution:
profit=8-3=5
expected profit per day=5(100)(25%)+5(150)(50%)+200(5)(25%)
Is this right?

Why would you think both solutions have the same expected profit? In one case if customers order 200 you can only sell them 150; in the other case you sell them 200, so the expected revenue goes up. Of course, the "manufacturing" cost also goes up (because you make more), so some additional calculations are needed to assess the net effects.

Go back to first principles. What is the expectation value of a discrete random variable? It's the sum of the values of that variable times the probability it has that value. Don't blindly throw numbers around, THINK.

Expected profit per day = ##\sum \text{Profit}(n_i \text{ sales}) \text{Probability}(n_i \text{ sales})##

Now, here is where you are going wrong. You need to carefully think through what is the profit (revenue minus costs) in each of the possible cases.

First, it is assumed that they go ahead and make 150 at the beginning of each day, not knowing what they're going to sell. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.

There could be a demand for 100, so they could sell 100. What is their revenue from sales? What did they spend at the start of the day? So what is their profit?
There could be a demand for 150. How many would they sell? What is their revenue from sales? What did they spend at the start of the day? So what is their profit?
There could be a demand for 200. How many would they sell? What is their revenue from sales? What did they spend at the start of the day? So what is their profit?

These are the questions which you need to think through. Also, these are the questions which do not necessarily have the same answers for parts (a) and (b).

i get it now...
so for part a:
profit for demand 100 = 100(8-3)=500
for 150 = 150(8-3)=750
for 200 = 150(8-3)=750
so expected profit = 500(25%)+750(50%)+750(25%)=687.5

for part b:
expected profit=500(25%)+750(50%)+1000(25%)=750
thanks for the thorough explanation

Closer. But you've missed something about the costs. Reread the problem again, and reread what I said.

part a:
(100x8-150x3)(25%)+150(5)(50%)+150(5)(25%)=650

part b:
(100x8-200x3)(25%)+(150x8-200x3)(50%)+200(5)(25%)=600

Likes RPinPA

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value for a probability?

The formula for calculating the expected value for a probability is: Expected Value = Probability * Outcome. This means that you multiply the probability of an event occurring by the value of the outcome to find the expected value.

2. How is the concept of expected value used in probability?

The concept of expected value is used to determine the average outcome or return of a random event over a large number of trials. It is a useful tool for decision making and risk analysis in fields such as finance, statistics, and gaming.

3. Can the expected value be negative?

Yes, the expected value can be negative. This means that the outcome of the event is more likely to result in a loss rather than a gain. It is important to consider both the magnitude and the sign of the expected value in decision making.

4. How does the expected value differ from the actual outcome?

The expected value is a theoretical calculation based on the probability and potential outcomes of an event. It represents the average result over a large number of trials. The actual outcome, on the other hand, is the specific result that occurs in a single trial. The actual outcome may be different from the expected value due to chance or other factors.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the expected value for a probability?

Calculating the expected value for a probability has various real-world applications, such as predicting stock market returns, evaluating insurance policies, and analyzing risk in gambling. It is also used in fields such as biology, economics, and engineering to make informed decisions based on probabilities and potential outcomes.