1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the force during a collision.

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, there was a side on collision between a car and a 4WD, the 4WD crashed into the side of the car. The accleration experienced by each driver has been given: Car:114.9 m/s2, 4WD : 43.9 m/s2. The masses have been give: Driver of Car: 105kg, Driver of 4WD: 60 kg.

The thing that confuses me is that the distances that the vehicles crumpled has also been given, it is stated that it is relevant, but i cant see how: Car side: 54cm. 4WD bonnet: 1.12m.

Do i just use the F = ma to find the force during collision, or do i need to use the distances.

By the way the reason i need this is to draw a Force vs. distace graph, so the distance might be relevant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2
    If this were a real problem then how the vehicles crushed would be very important. You would use that to estimate the accelerations. But since the accelerations are given, then you can use the F=ma to find forces on the drivers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook