Calculating the Force of a Jump on the Moon

In summary, at an elementary physics level, the height at which we can jump depends on acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity when we leave the ground. We can calculate our initial velocity by calculating acceleration and using the distance we bend down before jumping to calculate the our velocity right as our feet leave the ground. The acceleration will be the force we exert on the ground (normal force) minus (g times our mass) all divided by our mass. When comparing jumping on Earth to jumping on the moon, the force we can exert on the ground may be the same, but the acceleration will be different due to the difference in gravity. Assuming we bend down the same amount before jumping, the height of a jump on the moon can
isaacwachsman
Homework Statement
Calculate the height of a jump on the moon vs on earth.
Relevant Equations
F=ma, vx^2 - vox^2 / 2ax = x
From my understanding, at an elementary physics level, the height at which we can jump depends on acceleration due to gravity and the initial velocity when we leave the ground. We can calculate our initial velocity by calculating acceleration and using the distance we bend down before jumping to calculate the our velocity right as our feet leave the ground. The acceleration will be the force we exert on the ground (normal force) minus (g times our mass) all divided by our mass. Please correct me if this is wrong. Keep in mind, this is for an elementary physics class, so acceleration is constant, drag force is negligible, etc. My question is this: is the force we can exert on the ground on Earth the same as the force we can exert on the ground on the moon? Would our acceleration just be that force - (1.62)(mass) all over mass? Assume we bend down the same amount before jumping on the moon as we do on earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
isaacwachsman said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the height of a jump on the moon vs on earth.
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, vx^2 - vox^2 / 2ax = x

is the force we can exert on the ground on Earth the same as the force we can exert on the ground on the moon?
Muscles are complicated. There is a limit to how fast they can contract. But for the purpose of the question, it's a reasonable assumption.
isaacwachsman said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the height of a jump on the moon vs on earth.
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, vx^2 - vox^2 / 2ax = x

Would our acceleration just be that force - (1.62)(mass) all over mass?
If 1.62 represents g on the moon, yes.

I ran through some calculations and it seems that the height one can jump on the moon is ten fold the height they can jump on the earth. I used the same mass, force, and distance from bending to calculate the jumps on Earth and the moon. Other sources say the jump on the moon should be six-fold. Is the number I calculated different simply because of the assumptions I made and the numbers I used?

isaacwachsman said:
I ran through some calculations and it seems that the height one can jump on the moon is ten fold the height they can jump on the earth. I used the same mass, force, and distance from bending to calculate the jumps on Earth and the moon. Other sources say the jump on the moon should be six-fold. Is the number I calculated different simply because of the assumptions I made and the numbers I used?
Hard to say without seeing the details of your work.

Here is some of my work from the project I’m working on for school.

Attachments

• Untitled document.pdf
    312.4 KB · Views: 80
isaacwachsman said:
Here is some of my work from the project I’m working on for school.
A couple of issues with the equation following "The person accelerated from 0 m/s to 2.80 m/s in 0.32 meters."

haruspex said:
A couple of issues with the equation following "The person accelerated from 0 m/s to 2.80 m/s in 0.32 meters."
Could you please explain the problem?

isaacwachsman said:
Could you please explain the problem?
Ok, I see now - it's just some missing parentheses that threw me. I'll keep reading.

Ok. The reason you get such a high ratio is that you are not counting the 0.32m dip as part of the height achieved. I.e. you find the height reached rather than the overall vertical displacement.
If we add in the 0.32m we get 0.72m on Earth, 4.36m on the Moon, a ratio of about 6.

It is much better style to keep everything symbolic, only plugging in numbers at the end. It has many advantages. I would certainly give higher credit for that.

I see... but the 4.04 m I calculated is correct as far as how far off the ground the person got?

isaacwachsman said:
I see... but the 4.04 m I calculated is correct as far as how far off the ground the person got?
Looks right

1. How do you calculate the force of a jump on the moon?

The force of a jump on the moon can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity on the moon. The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is approximately 1.6 m/s^2.

2. What is the difference between calculating the force of a jump on the moon and on Earth?

The main difference is the value of acceleration due to gravity. On Earth, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, while on the moon it is only 1.6 m/s^2. This means that objects will experience less force when jumping on the moon compared to Earth.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the force of a jump on the moon?

The mass of an object does not affect the force of a jump on the moon. According to the formula F = m x a, the force is directly proportional to mass. This means that as the mass increases, the force will also increase, but the acceleration due to gravity on the moon remains constant.

4. Can you calculate the force of a jump on the moon without knowing the mass of the object?

No, the mass of the object is a necessary factor in calculating the force of a jump on the moon. Without knowing the mass, the force cannot be accurately determined using the formula F = m x a.

5. How does the force of a jump on the moon compare to the force of a jump on Earth?

The force of a jump on the moon is significantly less than the force of a jump on Earth. This is due to the lower acceleration due to gravity on the moon. For example, a person who weighs 100 pounds on Earth would only weigh about 16.6 pounds on the moon, resulting in a much smaller force when jumping.