Calculating the force of a kick

• Thread starter Oral B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of whether the force of an average kick could rupture a testicle and the use of the metric system to convert Newtons to lbs. The individual also asked if the end result could be called psi and clarified the difference between pounds and psi. The solution suggested finding the kinetic energy of the kick and considering factors such as the distance and resistance of the kick.
Oral B

Homework Statement

I'm writing a paper about wearing jockstraps in sports, and I'm trying to calculate whether the force of an average kick could rupture a testicle (Yeah, it hurts just to even think about). I would like to get the end result in lbs, so I'm using the metric system in the equation and then converting Newtons to lbs. I would just like to confirm that I'm calculating this correctly. As a side note, can this be called psi as well? Like if the end result is 77lbs, would that also mean 77 psi?

Variables:
Average kick speed: 30 m/s (I'm aware that this is the velocity of a kick, but I'm guessing that the average kick will not exceed 30 m/s coming from rest).
Average mass of a leg: 11.5 kgs.
Testicular rupture occurs at ~110lbs of force

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (30)(11.5)
F = 345 Newtons, or ~77lbs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Troll alert.

AJ Bentley said:
Troll alert.

... Why?

I don't know that I would say "troll" but the problem you give simply is not solvable. You could use the information you have to find the kinetic energy in the kick and then set "force times distance" equal to that energy but you have two unknowns. You would also need to calculate the distance the foot moves from the time of impact to stopping. That would require information such as the resistance to the kick.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know that I would say "troll" but the problem you give simply is not solvable. You could use the information you have to find the kinetic energy in the kick and then set "force times distance" equal to that energy but you have two unknowns. You would also need to calculate the distance the foot moves from the time of impact to stopping. That would require information such as the resistance to the kick.

Ah alright that makes sense, thank you. I will probably just settle with finding the kinetic energy and go from there, thanks for your help.

As a side note, pounds and psi are not the same. A pound is a force unit and psi is shorthand for pounds per square inch, which is a pressure or stess unit. 77 pounds acting on 1 sq in is 77 psi pressure; 77 pounds acting on 2 sq in is 38.5 psi, etc.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of a kick?

The formula for calculating the force of a kick is force = mass x acceleration. This means that the force of a kick is directly proportional to the mass of the object being kicked and the acceleration of the kick.

2. How do you measure the mass of an object for the force calculation?

The mass of an object can be measured in kilograms (kg) using a scale or balance. If the object is irregularly shaped, its volume can also be measured using displacement methods and then converted to mass using the object's density.

3. What is the average acceleration of a kick?

The average acceleration of a kick can vary depending on factors such as the strength and technique of the kicker, but it is typically between 10-20 meters per second squared (m/s^2) for a human kick.

4. Can the force of a kick be increased?

Yes, the force of a kick can be increased by increasing the mass of the object being kicked or by increasing the acceleration of the kick. This can be achieved through training and improving technique.

5. How does the force of a kick affect the distance it travels?

The force of a kick affects the distance it travels through the principle of projectile motion. The greater the force, the faster the object will travel and the further it will travel before hitting the ground. However, other factors such as air resistance and angle of kick also play a role in the distance traveled.