1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the force of a kick

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm writing a paper about wearing jockstraps in sports, and I'm trying to calculate whether the force of an average kick could rupture a testicle (Yeah, it hurts just to even think about). I would like to get the end result in lbs, so I'm using the metric system in the equation and then converting newtons to lbs. I would just like to confirm that I'm calculating this correctly. As a side note, can this be called psi as well? Like if the end result is 77lbs, would that also mean 77 psi?

Variables:
    Average kick speed: 30 m/s (I'm aware that this is the velocity of a kick, but I'm guessing that the average kick will not exceed 30 m/s coming from rest).
    Average mass of a leg: 11.5 kgs.
    Testicular rupture occurs at ~110lbs of force

2. Relevant equations
    F = MA

3. The attempt at a solution

F = (30)(11.5)
    F = 345 Newtons, or ~77lbs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    Troll alert.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    ... Why?

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know that I would say "troll" but the problem you give simply is not solvable. You could use the information you have to find the kinetic energy in the kick and then set "force times distance" equal to that energy but you have two unknowns. You would also need to calculate the distance the foot moves from the time of impact to stopping. That would require information such as the resistance to the kick.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5
    Ah alright that makes sense, thank you. I will probably just settle with finding the kinetic energy and go from there, thanks for your help.

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a side note, pounds and psi are not the same. A pound is a force unit and psi is shorthand for pounds per square inch, which is a pressure or stess unit. 77 pounds acting on 1 sq in is 77 psi pressure; 77 pounds acting on 2 sq in is 38.5 psi, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook