Impulse Problem- time-average of normal force when running

In summary, the problem involves analyzing the vertical motion of a 150 lbs person running with a cadence of 4 steps per second. The person's center of mass rises and falls repeatedly due to brief contact with the ground, resulting in a sequence of short pulses of force. The only other force acting on the person is gravity. The long-time time-weighted average of the vertical component of force of impact is found to be 0N, and the short-time weighted average over a contact time of 0.1 seconds cannot be determined without the initial velocity.
mtruong1999
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
A somewhat paraphrased version of the problem:
Consider the vertical motion of the center of mass of a 150 lbs person as they run along a track. Suppose the person's cadence is 4 steps per second, and with every stride, they briefly leave the ground (thus the center of mass rises and falls repeatedly). Assume only one foot is in contact with the ground at a time, and this is brief contact. Thus the vertical (normal) force F(t) exerted by ground rises and falls in a sequence of short pulses, with an impulse occurring every 0.25 seconds.
a. Considering that only other vertical force acting on the runner is gravity, what must be the long-time time-weighted average of the vertical component of force of impact of F(t).
b. If the shoe is only in contact with the ground for 0.1 seconds, what is the short-time weighted average of F(t) over the 0.1 seconds?

Homework Equations

Average Force= (Δp)/(Δt)=(m*vf - m*vi)/Δt =
n= mg
Δp= change in momentum
n= normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I converted 150 lbs into Newtons using 1 lb=4.45 N, just for the sake of units. 150lbs≅667.5N.
For part a, because we are considering the "long-time time-weighted average force", I immediately thought about taking a limit as time approaches infinity.
So, I took the limit as Δt→∞ of (mvf - mvi)/Δt, which turns out to be 0 because the numerator is a fixed value while the denominator increases without bound. Does this mean that the long time-weighted average of the normal force of impact is 0N?
I'm also a bit confused because my teacher is rather confusing and I have notes that I took from him where he set this limit equal to n-mg, thus resulting in 0=n-mg, why is this okay and legal to do??

For part b, I think I need the initial velocity, but its not given? I assumed that the velocity going down would be the same as the velocity of the foot leaving the ground, thus resulting in the formula Δp=2mv (and I would find the mass by dividing 667.5 N by acceleration of gravity), which I would then divide by 0.1 seconds to get the short-time weighted average. The only problem is: I don't know what the initial velocity is or any other way to get around needing a velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtruong1999 said:
of (mvf - mvi)/Δt, which turns out to be 0
But there are multiple impacts over time, so in the limit infinitely many mvf-mvi terms.
Take a typical interval, representative of the long term process.

1. What is impulse in relation to running?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object. In the context of running, it refers to the force applied to the ground by the runner's foot, which results in a change in the runner's momentum and allows them to move forward.

2. How is impulse related to the normal force when running?

The normal force is the force exerted by the ground on the runner's foot in response to the downward force applied by the runner. This normal force is responsible for the impulse that propels the runner forward.

3. Why is the time-average of normal force important in the impulse problem of running?

The time-average of normal force is important because it represents the average force applied by the ground over the duration of the runner's footstrike. This average force determines the magnitude of the impulse and therefore affects the runner's speed and acceleration.

4. How does the time-average of normal force change with different running techniques?

The time-average of normal force can vary depending on the running technique used. For example, a forefoot strike will have a shorter duration of foot-ground contact and a higher time-average of normal force compared to a heel strike which has a longer duration of foot-ground contact and a lower time-average of normal force.

5. Can the time-average of normal force be increased to improve running performance?

Yes, the time-average of normal force can be increased by improving running technique and increasing the force applied to the ground during footstrike. This can lead to a greater impulse and therefore a higher speed and acceleration, potentially improving running performance.