Calculating the Fourier Series of |sin x|

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
Narcol2000
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to find the Fourier series of |sin x| between -pi and pi.

I've got it down to:

[tex] a_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} |sin x| cos (nx) dx[/tex]

which i wrote as:

[tex] a_n = \frac{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_0 sin x cos (nx) dx[/tex]

writing

[tex] sin x cos (nx) = \frac{1}{2} (sin (n+1)x - sin (n-1)x)[/tex]

I eventually get

[tex] a_n = \frac{2(n(-1)^n - 1)}{\pi(n^2 - 1)}[/tex]

giving

[tex] f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{2(n(-1)^n - 1)}{\pi(n^2 - 1)} cos(nx)[/tex]

The answer however gives

[tex] f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \frac{4}{\pi}\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{cos (2nx)}{4n^2 - 1}[/tex]

I don't see how they arrive at this... if anyone can let me know where I've gone wrong or if I'm missing something :S
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mad a mistake in calculating an. There is no n in the numerator. It should be (-1)n-1-1. Then all the terms for odd n are 0 and the even terms remain. (I suggest you redo the calculation).
 
yeah i found the mistake,
I get the numerator to be
[tex] 2((-1)^{n-1} - 1)[/tex]

which does lead to the right answer.

thx for your help.:cool: