Understanding the Intuition Behind Fourier Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intuition behind Fourier series and how functions can be approximated using sine, cosine, and exponential functions. The index of the sum starts from 1 for sine and cosine, but includes the whole integer set for exponential base. This is because of Euler's formula which relates sines, cosines, and exponentials. The conversation also explains how a Fourier series can be rewritten as a constant, plus a cosine series starting with 1, plus a sine series starting with +1. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the use of Fourier series in approximating functions.
Gianmarco
I'm wondering if anyone could give me the intuition behind Fourier series. In class we have approximated functions over the interval ##[-\pi,\pi]## using either ##1, sin(nx), cos(nx)## or ##e^{inx}##.
An example of an even function approximated could be:
##
f(x) = \frac {(1,f(x))}{||1||^{2}}*1 + \sum^{inf}_{n=1}\frac{(cos(nx), f(x))}{||cos(nx)||^{2}}*cos(nx)
##
where I've indicated the scalar product as (. , .) and the norm as || . ||.
From what I've understood, whenever computing the approximation using sin(nx) or cos(nx) the index of the sum starts from 1 and goes to infinity. Whenever dealing with ##e^{inx}## the index starts from - infinity and goes to infinity.
I think that when we compute the series approximation, we calculate the orthogonal projection of our original function on the infinite number of axis' given by ##1, sin(nx), cos(nx)## or ##e^{inx}##. Is this correct? And if it is, then why does the index start from 1 for sine and cosine whereas it's the whole integer set for the exponential base? Any help is much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know Euler's formula, you can relate sines, cosines and exponentials as follows:

[itex]e^{i n \theta} = cos(n \theta) + i sin(n \theta)[/itex]

So you can rewrite a Fourier series:

[itex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=+\infty} c_n e^{i n \theta} = (\sum_{n= -\infty}^{+\infty} c_n cos(n \theta)) + i (\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty} c_n sin(n \theta))[/itex]

But we know: [itex]cos(n \theta) = cos(-n \theta)[/itex], and [itex]cos(0) = 1[/itex], and [itex]sin(n \theta) = - sin(n \theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(0) = 0[/itex]. So we can rewrite this as follows:

[itex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=+\infty} c_n e^{i n \theta} = c_0 + (\sum_{n= 1}^{+\infty} (c_n + c_{-n}) cos(n \theta)) + i (\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} (c_n - c_{-n}) sin(n \theta))[/itex]

So a Fourier series (where the index ranges from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]+\infty[/itex] is equivalent to a constant, plus a cosine series starting with 1, plus a sine series starting with +1.

[itex]cos(nx)=\frac{e^{inx}+e{-inx}}{2},\ sin(nx)=\frac{e^{inx}-e^{-inx}}{2i}[/itex]. If the function is even (cos series), the exp terms with +n and -n have the same coefficient, so you don't need them both. Similarly if the function is odd (sin series) the exp terms have coefficients wth the same magnitude and opposite sign, so you don't need them both. Functions neither odd or even need either the full exp series or sin and cos series together.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate various types of signals and functions, such as sound waves and electrical signals.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that, when added together, best approximate the original function. This involves using integrals and complex numbers to solve for the coefficients.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is used to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. It is also used to approximate functions that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

4. Can a Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier series is only applicable to periodic functions. However, there are other methods such as the Fourier transform that can be used for non-periodic functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used in image and sound compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations, among others.