1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the gravitational field due to a horizontal uniform thin disk

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the gravitational field due to a horizontal uniform thin disc (thickness D, radius R and density r) at a distance h vertically above the centre of the disc has magnitude

2πGρd(1-h/(R2+h2)1/2)

A pendulum clock in the centre of a large room is observed to keep correct time. How many
    seconds per year will the clock gain if the floor is covered by a 1cm thick layer of lead of density
    11350kgm−3?
    [Newton’s gravitational constant is G = 6.67×10−11Nm2 kg−2.]

2. Relevant equations
    Gravitational potential, [itex]\phi[/itex]=-Gdm/R
    Where dm=2πRDρ.dR
    Gravitational field, g= -[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have got to [itex]\phi[/itex]=-2πDρGdR and I know I need to integrate with respect to R, then use the g= -[itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] but I am unsure what my integration limits should be? I think I need to integrate between 0 and R but then I can't see how I would get the h/(R2+h2)1/2 term?
    Any hints would be very useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    In the relevant equations sections ϕ=-Gdm/R should be dϕ=-Gdm/R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook