1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the half-life of decays of Radium-224

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem 1 – Krane 8.7] (a) compute the Q values for the decays 224Ra → 212Pb + 12C and 224Ra → 210Pb + 14C. (b) Estimate the half-lives for these two possible decay processes. 224Ra is a α emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days.

2. Relevant equations
    I am assuming that the entire section 8.4 in Krane (Introduction to Nuclear Physics) on the Theory of [itex]\alpha[/itex] Emission is useful here. This discussion is found on pages 251 - 257.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part (a) is easy. I simply reduced the reactions to their mass excesses and computed the differences between the reactants and products. The results are

224Ra → 212Pb + 12C ====> Q = 26.4 MeV
    224Ra → 210Pb + 14C ====> Q = 30.5 MeV

Part (b) is the one I am having trouble with. The 224Ra is known to be an [itex]\alpha[/itex] emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days. What I am having trouble with is the Barrier height B given by

[itex]B = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_{0}}\frac{zZ'e^{2}}{a}[/itex]

I am under the assumption that Z' is for the daughter; which is 212Pb or 12C in the first decay, and 210Pb or 14C in the second decay? Is z for the [itex]\alpha[/itex] particle? And finally, is [itex]a[/itex] the nuclear radius of the 224Ra?

If I can figure out that relationship, then I think I could go through the process and figure out the half-life by the following relationships.

[itex]\lambda=f P[/itex]

where [itex]P = exp(-2 k_{2}(1/2)(b-a))[/itex] and f is the frequency with which the alpha presents itself at the barrier. How does one calculate f?

From there it is just simply [itex]t_{1/2} = \frac{ln(2)}{\lambda}[/itex]. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #2
    I know its like 5 years into the future, but here is the equation I think you need for half life. I am also stuck on this too so I am replying to bump this and maybe hijack this thread if you are no longer around
    half life equation.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted