1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the magnetic field from the Hall Voltage

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have built a sensor to detect the strength of unknown magnetic fields. You
    use a rectangular sample of copper that is 14.2 cm wide and 0.5 cm thick. You apply a
    current of 2.4 A to the copper. You know that there is a magnetic field perpendicular
    to the current because you measure a Hall Voltage of 0.1μV. What was the magnitude
    of the magnetic field that you detected?

Assume that one electron per atom is available for conduction. (2) Copper has a
    density of 8.93 g/cm3 and a molar mass of 63.55 g/mol. (3) Remember that 1 mol of any
    substance contains 6.02 x1023 atoms (Avogadro’s number).

2. Relevant equations

q vd B = q EH

VH = EH d = vd B d

n = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A}}{M}[/tex]

B = [tex]\frac{E_{H}}{v_{d}}[/tex]

EH = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{d}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

B = [tex]\frac{E_{H}}{v_{d}}[/tex]

EH = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{d}[/tex]

Therefore B = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{v_{d} d}[/tex] ...

If vd = [tex]\frac{I}{n q A}[/tex] ...

Then B = [tex]\frac{n q A V_{H}}{I d}[/tex]

If n = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A}}{M}[/tex]

Then B = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A} q A V_{H}}{M I d}[/tex]

I worked out the following numbers (I don't know whether my error lies here or not)...

[tex]\rho[/tex] = 8.93 x 10-9 kgm-3
    NA = 6.02 x 1023 atoms
    q = 1.602 x 10-19 C
    A = 14.2 x 10-2 x 0.5 x 10-2 = 7.1 x 10-4m2
    VH = 0.1 x 10-6 v
    M = 63.55 x 10-3 kgmol-1
    I = 2.4 A
    d = 0.5 x 10-2 m

I have been stuck on this question for several hours now, and can't see where I'm going wrong. The answer I'm getting is 8.018 x 10-11T, when the answer expected is between 2 and 4 T apparently. Any help would be much appreciated :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your conversions. Do you really believe that a cube of solid copper one meter on the side has a mass of 8.93 micrograms? :rolleyes:
  4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    i've completed the question now, thanks for your help :) it was like you said, my conversion was completely wrong! also i was using the wrong measurement for d, it was in fact " 12.2 x 10-2 and not 0.5 x 10-2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook