1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing magnetic field (magnetic mirror)

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think this is a 'magnetic mirror' question - the field lines converge on the z axis.

For a particle moving into an area of increasing field strength, where the field lines converge. Assume the ##B## field is rotationally symmetric about the ##z## axis, with ##B = B_z \hat{z}## being the main field, ##B_r## pointing inwards and ##B_φ = 0## (cylindrical coordinates). Use the fact that this field has ##div B = 0## to find ##B_r##, and show that ##\frac{v_p^2}{B}## is a conserved quantity by considering the Lorentz force.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a little rusty on cylindrical co-ords, but I think the field can be written as
    ##B = B_r \hat{r} + B_z \hat{z}##
    In cylindrical co-ordinates the divergence of the field is (using the fact it's divergence free):
    ##\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial{(r B_r)}}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} = 0##

With a converging field clearly ##B_z = B(z)##, and using the product rule on the first term:

##\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial r} + B_r + \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} = 0##

Which gives

##B_r = -\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial r} - \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z}##

The equation of motion for this system is

##m\frac{dv}{dt} = q(v \times B) ##
    Which can be calculated from the determinant

##m\frac{dv}{dt} = q
    \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
    \hat{r} & \hat{\theta} & \hat{z} \\
    v_r & v_{\theta} & v_z \\
    B_r & 0 & B_z\end{array} \right|##

##= qv_{\theta} B_z \hat{r} - \hat{\theta} q(vB_z - v_zB_r) - \hat{z} q v_{\theta} B_r##

Can't see how to show from there that the quantity ##\frac{v_p^2}{B}## is conserved. Not even sure that determinant is right! Thanks for any help! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2
    First, your expression for ## B_r ## is incorrect. You dropped a factor of r. Since the change in the field with respect to r is much greater than the change in the field with respect to z you can show that ## B_r## is approximately proportional to r.
    Secondly, look up the expressions for velocity in cylindrical coordinates and plug them into your determinant.
    Third, for ##\frac{{v_p}^2}{B}## to be a conserved quantity it must be a constant of motion. That is, $$ \frac{d({\frac{{v_p}^2}{B}})}{dt}=0$$

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3
    Yes, I made lots of mistakes, I got there in the end though. Thanks anyway for your response! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted