Calculating the Mass of a Hollow Pipe Using Density and Dimensions

  • Thread starter Thread starter movsesinator1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
movsesinator1
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A piece of pipe has an outer radius of 4.5cm, an inner radius of 2.8cm and length of 36cm

The density of the pipe is 7.8 g/cm^3

What is the mass of this pipe? Answer is in unites of kg.

Homework Equations



Density=mass/volume

Mass= (density)(volume)

Volume= mass/density

The Attempt at a Solution



I subtracted the volume of the hollow inside of the tube from the large radius (2.8+4.5cm) and multiplied that by the density given. Then I converted to kg by dividing by 1000. My answer came up to be appx 40 kg. But I believe I'm wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
movsesinator1 said:
I subtracted the volume of the hollow inside of the tube from the large radius (2.8+4.5cm)...
The outer radius is given as 4.5 cm. (No need to add 2.8+4.5.)
 
Oh yeah thanks.
I thought that i had to add the radii because the diagram on the page made it seem as if the outer radius was that of only the thickness of the pipe.