Calculating the Mass of an Aluminum Unit Cell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
tica86
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Aluminum has a density of 2.699 g/cm3 , and the atoms are packed in a face-centered cubic crystal lattice. Find the mass of a unit cell.

-----I already know the answer is 1.792*10^-22g/unit cell

I have a question about how you get the answer:
I know you multiply 4.480*10^-23g * 4 atoms/1 unit cell= the answer

where does the 4 atoms come from?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Geometry of the cell. In fcc all atoms lie on the cell walls, so they are only partially belong to the cell. Sum these fractions.
 
Borek said:
Geometry of the cell. In fcc all atoms lie on the cell walls, so they are only partially belong to the cell. Sum these fractions.

got it, thanks!