Calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia of a solid sphere of uniform density, the formula ##I = \int r^2 dm## is used. However, when attempting to solve for the moment of inertia using an elemental disk of small thickness, it is important to note that the height of the incremental disc is not ##R\,d\theta## but rather ##R\cos\theta d\theta##. Additionally, the moment of inertia of the incremental disc is not ##r^2\,dm## but rather ##1/2MR^2##. To evaluate ##\cos^5x##, multiple angle formulas can be used. Alternatively, one can integrate with respect to ##z## instead of ##\
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

To calculate moment of inertia of a solid sphere of uniform density[/B]

Homework Equations

$$ I = \int r^2 dm$$

The attempt at a solution
upload_2017-4-24_11-47-28.png

I consider an elemental disk of small thickness ##d\theta##
##dm = \frac{M}{4/3 \pi R^3}*\pi R^2\cos^2\theta* Rd\theta##
Therefore ##dI = r^2 dm = R^2\cos^2\theta dm## r is the distance from the axis to the disc which is same as ## R\cos\theta##
Then I do the integration ##I = \int_\frac{-\pi}{2}^\frac{\pi}{2} dI##

As I am getting a ##\cos^4\theta## I am not able to get the answer ##2/5 MR^2##
Can someone tell me if I have gone wrong anywhere in what I have written above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first formula implies that ##R\,d\theta## is the height of the incremental disc. It is not. It is the length of the slanted edge of the disc. What do you have to multiply that length by to give the height?

Also, the moment of inertia of the incremental disc is not ##r^2\,dm##. Look at this list of moments of inertia to see what it should be.

andrewkirk said:
Your first formula implies that ##R\,d\theta## is the height of the incremental disc. It is not. It is the length of the slanted edge of the disc. What do you have to multiply that length by to give the height?

So then instead of ##Rd\theta## it will be ##R\cos\theta d\theta##? and yes the MoI of disk is ##1/2MR^2##
So now I have to evaluate ##\cos^5x##?

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-24_12-24-12.png
    upload_2017-4-24_12-24-12.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 488
Yes. You can use multiple angle formulas to do this.
Alternatively, you might prefer to integrate with respect to ##z## instead of ##\theta##. That gives an easier integration - but the same result of course.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is I = (2/5) * mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you determine the mass and radius of a solid sphere?

The mass and radius of a solid sphere can be determined by measuring its weight and diameter, respectively. The mass can also be calculated by using the density of the material and the volume of the sphere.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a solid sphere change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere can change if its mass or radius is altered. Also, if the sphere is rotating around a different axis, the moment of inertia will also change.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. It is also greater than that of a solid cylinder or a solid disk with the same mass and radius.

5. What is the significance of calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

Calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is important in understanding its rotational motion and how it responds to external forces. It is also useful in engineering and designing structures that involve rotating spheres, such as gyroscopes.