Calculating the normal force of a roller coaster

Just solve for fnIn summary, to find the normal force of the rails on the roller coaster car, use the equations fn+mg=mv^2/r for when the car is upside down at the top of the loop, and fn-mg=mv^2/r for when the car is at the bottom of the loop. Simply solve for fn in each equation.
tpopono
A roller coaster car of mass 960 kg starts at a distance of H = 20 above the bottom of a loop 12 m in diameter. If the friction in negligible, find the normal force of the rails on the car when i it is a) pside down the top of the loop and b) at the bottom of hte loop

i have no idea how to do it, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
tpopono said:
A roller coaster car of mass 960 kg starts at a distance of H = 20 above the bottom of a loop 12 m in diameter. If the friction in negligible, find the normal force of the rails on the car when i it is a) pside down the top of the loop and b) at the bottom of hte loop

i have no idea how to do it, thank you

Dude, you got to at least attempt

a) The equation is fn+mg= mv^2/r. Both fn and mg point downwards when it is upside down. Just solve for fn

b) at the bottom of the loop fn-mg=mv^2/r

What is the normal force of a roller coaster?

The normal force of a roller coaster is the force exerted by the track on the roller coaster car that keeps it in contact with the track and prevents it from falling.

How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using the equation FN = mg + ma, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the roller coaster car, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the roller coaster.

Why is calculating the normal force important in roller coaster design?

Calculating the normal force is important in roller coaster design because it helps ensure the safety of the riders. If the normal force is too low, the roller coaster car may lose contact with the track, causing a potential danger to the riders.

What factors can affect the normal force on a roller coaster?

The normal force on a roller coaster can be affected by the mass of the roller coaster car, the acceleration of the roller coaster, and the angle and shape of the track.

How does the normal force change throughout a roller coaster ride?

The normal force on a roller coaster changes throughout the ride based on the design of the track and the forces acting on the roller coaster car. It is highest at the bottom of a hill and lowest at the top of a hill.